Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about starting to make my own tackle. And I was wondering if soft plastics is a good place to start.

How easy is it?
Is it even economical? Cabelas sells a gallon bucket of soft plastics it has 680 pieces and costs $45. That's less than $0.07 a piece.
What is a good starting kit? The Janes Net Craft kit seems a good price

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Hobbies usually aren't "economical." I used to brew beer and tried to convince myself it was more "economical" because I could brew batches of beer for half of the price it cost at the liquor store. Hell I even had a great blonde recipe that I could brew 10 gallons and keg for ~$15-20. But that didn't factor in the $2,000 in equipment I had acquired over the years!

If you are interested to learn something new and try a new hobby, give it a shot!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
You won't save any money doing it. As far as I'm concerned, it's only "worth" it if you are making something that you cannot buy at a reasonable price, either because it's been discontinued, or you want a unique custom color, or you think you can "build a better mousetrap" and have some specific ideas how to do it. But it is a whole lot of fun, and from that standpoint it may be worth doing anyway.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Before springing for a kit, if I were you I would watch some of the scores of excellent YouTube tutorials on making your own soft plastic lures. Then decide whether you want to start with a "kit" or buy your own molds, materials, etc., so you are pouring what you want, not what the kit maker decided you might want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before springing for a kit, if I were you I would watch some of the scores of excellent YouTube tutorials on making your own soft plastic lures. Then decide whether you want to start with a "kit" or buy your own molds, materials, etc., so you are pouring what you want, not what the kit maker decided you might want.
Thanks, that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts