Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with more than 1200 members i wonder if hot spotting a favorite place is getting out to too many people. any thoughts? i like solitude wherever i can get it.

M

·
0 Posts
ya, i love the forum, but its getting too.....mainstream? i dunno, back in the day it was awesome, now i just like to read stuff and only post in the "colorado fishing" section, i dont like the idea of a bunch of dingbats who never post reading my reports and crowding my fishing holes...why should half the people or more on this site get to read and soak up all sorts of valuable information we put out when they dont post anything

now when u post a report...

it gets tons and tons of views
ridiculed for not giving enough information
hardly any replies

if 500 people read a fishing report and only 1 or 2 reply...that sux

sorry, just my opinion

M

·
0 Posts
and also, thats only half the poeple wwho are ergistered, who knows how many lurkers read the reports too..only active members should have access to our valuable reports IMO

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have really been worried about this. I havn't posted some reports recently because I am kind of afraid of being swarmed by anglers. I even did some undercover fishing the other day.(No yellow pants) I have come up with a system I will be using. Popular lakes and rivers that are going to be crowded any way I will give out all the info what i was using, where I was, what rock ect.... But in lesser known places I think I'll just name the river or body of water. In even lesser known spots you will probably just get pics. I have a hard time doing this because I know there are people out there who are like me when I started. They need that info because they don't know any better. They are trying to learn. They will post questions and responses. But I don't know how I would react if I posted on a spot and the next day 100 people were there saying "the guy in the yellow pants on the internet siad it was good fishing". This may never happen. I don't feel I have "Slayer" like status. If he posts they will come. ;D

This is just stuff I have been thinking about. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any rules of your own for reports.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I don't post fishing reports much anymore because of exactly what Mustang and Hatchmaster have said. With so many members (and lurkers) and so few quality places to fish here in CO (for warmwater anyway) I'm real reluctant to give out any specifics on location anymore. And I know there are those on the site here who would criticise me for not giving more info so I've gotten to the point where its best not to post any report at all in most cases.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Report at your own honey hole's risk  :p

But seriously, if I were to have a honeyhole (especially a smaller and less pressured body of water), I'd probably rather not post a report. Like Hatchmaster, I will not mind posting about a popular location with crowds on a regular basis. And I'll resepect anyone's decision on whether or not they post a report. However, when I do post a report, I'll try to be very informative... Hopefully, I've been informative enough in my past reports.
But I'll surely keep the braggin pictures comin' whether or not I decide to report  >:D
Even if someone doesn't post a report, I'll be thankful enough for the sharing of pictures  :)

The site being too big is not really much of a concern to me because it is bound to happen when you have a great fishing website to go learn tips and tricks from other local fishermen who are willing to share. As for the worries about fishing reports being accessed by too many viewers, I'll be careful but still I think the site is great for the tips. Call me silly, but I often log on just hoping to see new posted fishing pics! I'll just conclude that my feelings about this issue are balanced enough and you all still are a great crowd of proud Colorado Fishermen. I enjoy what I learn from the forum which I'd have to say most thankfully, it includes you all.

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mustang said:
ya, i love the forum, but its getting too.....mainstream? i dunno, back in the day it was awesome, now i just like to read stuff and only post in the "colorado fishing" section, i dont like the idea of a bunch of dingbats who never post reading my reports and crowding my fishing holes...why should half the people or more on this site get to read and soak up all sorts of valuable information we put out when they dont post anything

hardly any replies

sorry, just my opinion
Yeah so now you turned into one of them? Read the reports but dont post them? This is a great resource and only works if more then a handful post reports. Granted yoou dont have to post every time you go fishing, shoot you dont even have to post. But without them the reports section is kind of useless. Seriously too, if you are fishing a major water system any anglers you might get to peak interest and actually go to that body of water isnt going to hurt it. If you fishing a 1 acre pond then maybe if the Anglers feel its worth the drive could have potential to damgae it.
I dont know its pretty messed up to say I aint posting reports because some lurker is going to go fish my lake, but then read the reports yourself and not post.
Most of these great bodies of water, Dream Stream, Taylor, Blue Mesa, Gunnison, Granby, Green Mountain, ect everyone already knows about a report may influence them more to go but they probably already going to head out anyways. I think you guys are a little too paranoid.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
ePiC said:
I think you guys are a little too paranoid.
Hehe.. Yeah, I'm pretty paranoid at times  :p One of my many mental issues.. Thank God there's fishing and the great American Outdoors to keep me busy.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i don't know about being too paranoid. keep them good spots to yourself.  we all do it, nothing wrong with that. thats what pm's are for.  for hooking your buddies up.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Posting reports is an option, no forum member is required to post a report or to post anything for that matter.

There is more to the forum than just fishing reports too. There are techniques to share, stories to tell, friends to make (if you want to). Sometimes just fun threads too.

If you want to share information with certain people and not others you can always PM them. There are a number of people that I share and get information from through PM's. I tend to be a bit more close-mouthed about smaller waters and proverbial "honey-holes"

I don't think the forum is getting to big, I don't think a forum that caters to Colorado fishing will get too big. There are not the numbers of fisherman that you find in a more populous state.

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Gotta agree with Dan on this one. When I post anything about well known public waters that I know people are going to go to anyway, I'll tell everything I know. What the fish are hitting, what time of day is best, heck I'll even go out with you and place your feet in my old boot tracks if you want. ;)

Extra special spots that I want to keep to myself, I don't even mention. What's the point in posting something like, hey I caught some big fish and here are the pictures but I won't tell you where, nyah nyah nyah.

It's possible to be helpful to the general public and all the lurkers without really doing yourself any damage. And being helpful is good. It advances the sport at no cost to yourself. And your helpful posts actually act to create a diversion away from your honey hole. Not a false diversion either -- it really does some honest good.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
ePic-Gotta respectfully disagree.  Take Brush Hollow for instance.  I'm just guessing but I bet there was close to twice as much fishing pressure (in terms of number of fishermen) on that lake last year than previous years.  And while I can't prove it, I'm guessing reports on this site had alot to do with that.  

·
Registered
636 Posts
I gotta say that anyone is free to share any information that they want.  But before doing so, you should think about any of the consequences that can happen.  How much pressure does this place get and if it doesn't get much, or can't handle as much as say Pueblo or Bonny, even Chatfield, I don't think it should really be mentioned.  If you have a question about one of these gems, you should PM someone that you think would know about it instead of letting over a thousand people know about it.  This is how I feel anyways.

L

·
0 Posts
I remember reading a letter to the editor in Colorado Hunting & Fishing News several years ago. GPS was just getting really popular. This guy writes in asking for GPS coordinates to the exact spots for good dove hunting, etc...

Part of the fun of hunting and fishing is the experiments and explorations. If people aren't willing to do that, they are just catching and killing, not fishing and hunting.

I don't mind sharing a little of my experience, but details to the masses will never happen. I used to be so tight lipped, I wouldn't even lie to my wife about how big it was. (did I just say that?) Now I will share with individuals who have a real desire to learn more, but only when they are willing to share their knowledge also.

M

·
0 Posts
ePiC said:
Mustang said:

hardly any replies

sorry, just my opinion
Yeah so now you turned into one of them?   Read the reports but dont post them?  This is a great resource and only works if more then a handful post reports.  Granted yoou dont have to post every time you go fishing, shoot you dont even have to post.  But without them the reports section is kind of useless.  Seriously too, if you are fishing a major water system any anglers you might get to  peak interest and actually go to that body of water isnt going to hurt it.  If you fishing a 1 acre pond then maybe if the Anglers feel its worth the drive could have potential to damgae it.   
I dont know its pretty messed up to say I aint posting reports because some lurker is going to go fish my lake, but then read the reports yourself and not post.
Most of these great bodies of water, Dream Stream, Taylor, Blue Mesa, Gunnison, Granby, Green Mountain, ect everyone already knows about a report may influence them more to go but they probably already going to head out anyways.  I think you guys are a little too paranoid.
Haha, I didn't really think of it that way, but yeah, I have to admit, you are kinda right,but...

you say its pretty messed up to say im gonna ead but not report...ive posted dozens of fishing reports here, hopefully to the benefit of anyone who reads them, i dont think i fall into the category of the people im describing because im still an active member and generally i dont just post for the sake of getting my numbers up, i actually have something to say and contribute....it is an open forum, anyone can read anything anyone posts, and if u look at how many poeple visit the site each month/day whatever the percent of people who contribute is low, which in MY mind is an issue, and i can choose what i want to post

of course if i got to chatfield and cash in on some walleye, everyone knows chatfield is a walleye place, but why should i comprosmise smaller bodies, even QUINCY, whne there are already a bunch of idiots fishing there and i dont want to encourage anyone else to come?

i really dont think i fall into that category of "lurkers" i dont really think im alone when i say that i dont really like the fact that the site is getting so huge and wal martish, its a great thing for ken and everyone who started it, but for the members who used to come here and be able to ecognize every name that posted a report and stuff, but i really dont think im too paranoid in holding back from now on

just my opinion

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why you gotta be diggin up dead abused horses?

It has been well established that people do not prefer to post reports on smaller fisheries, and obviously the sentiment is spreading towards reports of any kind. If thats how you feel, then thats fine.

But why do people who dont post gotta be dingbats?

Talking about equipment, tactics, presentations etc. can occur no matter how many registered users there are.

M

·
0 Posts
Why I gotta be??? and why do people gotta be?

well i guess i dont "gotta be" but since there was a post that sorta lent itself in that direction...

dingbats? sorry if thats an offensive term, i thought it was pretty mild... but why "people gotta be" benefiting from information and why "people gotta be" ruining fisheries and why "people gotta be" not returning the favor and sharing their info?

just my opinion buddy

M

·
0 Posts
and yeah i agree that talking about equipment tactics and all the other stuff is great for anyone, and i have learned a lot

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I am sure my old English teacher is spinning in her grave, but I am getting a big cackle out of this...

"diggin up dead abused horses" now that has got to be a whole new contribution into the language...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I couldnt access it all night.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts