Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be fordo can confirm this. I caught this one at Dillon yesterday in 20 FOW. I thought that Char stays in deep water and since this is my first time catching this fish, I can't tell. By the way, it was released after this picture.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Sure looks sounds like it...great job!...lol wonder if they taste better than lakers...or the same...I think I read somewhere about them that their dorsal fin is always one solid color no spots...

An identifying feature of arctic char is colored, usually violet or pink, round spots distributed along the sides of their bodies.

http://www.dto.com/fwfishing/speciesProfile/292

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thumbs up Buddy! You will always find a few shallow at the snake in pursuit of eggs.

Out on the main lake, keep in mind that under the ice the mysis shrimp will migrate in pretty shallow and the char will be where the mysis are. For the most part though you want to target them below the thermocline, which under the ice is at 35 to 40 feet. You will mark them on the sonar just about every where you look between 80 and 120, but we have found most those fish that deep are really small, and fishing for a sub 10" fish with a really small mouth below 80 feet is nonsense. So focus on 40' to 60' and you will get some char. If you you punch a hole and are not marking fish, just wait, they will come through they are everywhere in the lake!

·
Registered
185 Posts
For the most part though you want to target them below the thermocline, which under the ice is at 35 to 40 feet.

There is no thermocline under the ice. Lakes only stratify in the summer when there is a temperature gradient in the water column. Under the ice the temperate of the entire water column is pretty close to same everywhere ~4C.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
T
There is no thermocline under the ice. Lakes only stratify in the summer when there is a temperature gradient in the water column. Under the ice the temperate of the entire water column is pretty close to same everywhere ~4C.
Sorry Kruger but there is only about a 3 week period in the spring where water temps are consistant throughout the column at Dillon. . Dillon is pretty unique with its three major tributaries large deep flats, the way they conviene and cause currents and flow of oxygen. You will find that the water temps below the ice in the upper thirties and once you pass the 35 foot mark water temps increase up to the upper 40's and lower 50's. This will even cause static on the sonar and you can see the stratification and I think the sonar doesn't pick up in the change in temp, but it picks up on the change in density of water associated with the change in temp. Thermo stratification is the reason the water temp on the blue in the tail water are so consistant. There is no doubt that below 35 feet water temps are warmer in the winter than the surface temp. In the summer the water below 35 feet is cooler than the surface temps. In the summer temps get up to the low sixties. Below 35 feet they stay in that mid fifties range. I'm not a scientist or know it all, but this is the info I get from countless hours on the lake being curious and observing. I did not read in a book. It's what I learned from keeping a thermometer in the boat and taboggen.
In the spring time you get what's called spring overturn
This is when the wind and runnoff really circulate the water and you get consistent temps throught the column.Other wise at Dillon there is always a very obvious thermo stratification.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Additionally, Dillon would never freeze if what you are saying is true (50 F water). Look up a phase change diagram

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Why do you have to get all scientific on us? And in Celsius? We are simple fisherpeople here. :D:D:D

Look at the density of water as a function of temperature, what you are describing is impossible....try again
I do wonder sometimes if life as we know it would be possible on earth without the properties of water. If ice didn't float, all bodies of water would probably freeze solid?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Krueger come out anytime and well deploy some thermometers. My sonar can see the change in density at 40 feet. warmer water is less dense than colder water. There is a big change in temperature below 40 feet. Not only does the thermometer not lie. My sonar picks up on thaT stratification.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
na. They can come on out and ill show them. Parkistan Tom is just trying to get me going. I highly doubt either one will take me up in my offer.
You can learn alot from Google But its kind of like taking the butchers word that the T-Bone is good. Sometimes you need to stick your head right up the cows ass to get the truth.

So , you're saying your head is up a bull's ass?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Alright guys, I just contacted contacted the scientist who has privately funded the research that is being done by CSU on lake Dillon. (Goldie this guy has defiantly taken a good look at the T-Bone with real equipment and a scientific approach).
I asked him what he thought of my assessment. Yes the water temperature changes below around 40 feet. I asked if my thermometer is accurate and he said on consistent bases it should be around 40 not the upper 40's. The temperature right below the ice is always about 32.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You're okay , Fordo.........sometimes. :thumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
warmer water is less dense than colder water
Okay, I'll bite....If this is true then how could there 50 F water under the 32 F water as you stated earlier.

(BTW it is not true because 4C is max water density and warmer or colder than 4C is less dense)

·
Registered
185 Posts

I asked if my thermometer is accurate and he said on consistent bases it should be around 40 not the upper 40's. The temperature right below the ice is always about 32.

Hey Fordo, your scientist just made my point!!!
4C = 39.2F

As I said in my first post, the entire water column is about the same temperature (~4C = 39.2F) and a thermocline can't exist without an abrupt temperature gradient (like you get in the summer). You should look up exactly what a thermocline is.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
we call that a back peddle :giggle:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not doubting that the water changes temperature with depth.

I'm saying that thermoclines can't form under the ice because you cant ever get a temperature gradient larger than 4C. And I'm saying that a maximum change of 7 degrees F in temperature over a 40ft change in depth is not a thermocline. Per the definition of a thermocline.

A themocline is 18-20F change in water temperature over 3-6ft depth change.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Right Kreuger, Thermocline is the wrong term but "stratification" does and can accure during winter stagnation even in the great lakes and the ocean.
Like I said Lake dillon is a pretty unique reservior with its flow of oxygen and the way the currents are affected. Its not like the great lakes, or the ocean. It is a man made artificial ecosystem. With currents and flows ever changing not only by the our more drastic changes and seasons, but also by the demands of the front range for water.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts