Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone; this will be my first post!

I am brand new to fly fishing but I have been interested for a while.

Anyhow, I bought a used fly fishing outfit at an estate sale the other day on a whim. It's an older Orvis Graphite 8' 6-wt 2-PC rod with an Orvis 1915ER reel. As far as I can tell, everything is in excellent condition (no chips, broken ferrules, etc). It also came along with a Fishpond pack stuffed with tons of flys, leader, tools, etc. I paid $120 for everything which feels like a pretty great deal considering the Fishpond pack sells for $80 itself.

My question is whether this is a reasonable setup to learn on, or if anyone thinks I may be better off with something different.

Appreciate all your advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I would have recommended a 9' 5wt rod, but what you bought will be ok.

The reel looks like a Medalist reel made for Orvis. It will work ok.

I suggest you take some casting lessons to get you started with proper form.

Where do you plan to fly fish?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree that a 9' 5wt is your typical started rod. I have ended up liking my lighter 3 wt's a lot too, but you gotta start somewhere. For the price, especially with all the fixings, it sounds like a perfect starter outfit.

Go catch some fish with it, have a great time, learn what you like and don't like about the set up and go from there.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Orvis makes a quality rod, 6wt is fine. Your value is in the rod and the pack. The flies may or may not be useful, flyline doesn't wear out too fast so that will be good also.

Used to be the 6wt was the all-rounder rod, but now it's migrated to 5 and 4 wt, but really the trout don't know the difference.

A 6 wt for pocket water nymphs or dries will work as well as any new Helios, if you go to South Park a 6wt will punch streamers on the big lakes better too, plus it's a great rod for warm water bass and panfish.

Get new leaders and do some serious study of what flies you need and inventory what you got in that pack. You can upgrade to a newer reel if you feel the need to have a fancy line holder and you'll have a fine outfit.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
When the 6wt was normal they were bamboo rods. A softer action than today's graphite rods.

·
Registered
167 Posts
PSYMD, being a "frugal" (frugal does not connote cheap) angler and if I had seen the $120 package, I would have bought it. As they say, "you done good". Remember, it's not how expensive your equipment is, it's how you use it.

Pete-G is right, I would pay for casting lessons or go with someone who can teach you on the water. If I had not moved from Colorado to Arizona, I would gladly take you to a productive body of water for "free" casting lessons. It might cost you some solicited complements like, you are a wonderful, thoughtful, considerate, friendly, kind, intelligent, good looking, talented, creative, and resourceful fly fisher. Did I leave anything out? Oh yes, "frugal".

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
So, you want him to lie?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you got a great deal and it will work fine for learning, but unless you take casting lessons and practice a LOT, you could have spent $10,000 and still not really enjoy the sport. Heck, even drifting a nymph under your nose requires some rod handling skills which you learn from a good instructor or friend that knows their stuff.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I said the same thing. A double nail hit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In German, the phrase, es macht nichts, literally translated means "it makes nothing". It can also mean, "it doesn't matter" or, "it isn't important".

American GIs and those of us who were in Germany as military brats, Americanized the phrase to, 'mox nix"; therefore, it doesn't matter and or it isn't important - your choice.

And there is your German language lesson for the day.

Quando Omni flunkus moritati.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts