Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is this whirling disease? The fish seemed pefectly healthy other than this. Or is it just an old injury?
Any help would be great.
Oh it was caught out of Lake Deweese.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im not sure but isnt whirling disease create a disfigurement of the spine......cant tell. All the pics Ive seen of the disease show a distinct bump along the spine.....hmmm

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I was just looking up WD, seems the tail of that fish is darker than normal and there seems to be some deformity of the back near the tail.

Whirling Disease is sometimes called "black tail" because of the color change to the tail. I also causes skeletal deformities and from what I can see I am not certain if that is a deformity or if it is an earlier injury. Did you happen to notice how it was swimming?

My answer its possible based on what I see.

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fish seemed to be swimming fine while he was hooked anyways. Put up a usual fight for a trout that size.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Barring taking a sample of the skeletal tissue I couldn't say for sure because it doesn't look like the full blown disease. WD does cause black tails and bending of the spine but usually higher up and more pronounced. I would say it is about a 60% chance of having WD but I would have to check the cartilage under a powerful microscope to check for the signs of the parasite itself.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Looks like a trout that had been mishandled to me, slime whipped off when caught then possibly tossed back into the water for the broken bone or whatever.
But it could be WD too, hard to tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts