Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, this spring while she was still 8, Isabella entered a casting contest. Her 1st cast, the kid running it told me she already did better than more than half the kids. By her 3rd cast, he told me she was doing better than 1/2 the adults (exactly why I don't enter).

A little later, we were talking with Chad LaChance. The kid came up with her prizes, and suggested she join the Northern Colorado JR Bass Club. She was stoked, but I was sketch.. I didn't want fishing to become competitive for her instead of fun. She really wanted to join, and we joined for a discounted rate, so...

Her 1st tournament was in Loveland. We had it all planned out. We'd bring her scooter, and race for a back pond at starting time. Well, the back ponds are still closed after the flood. Tough fishing, but towards the end of the tourney, she landed a nice Bass on a tube jig. Her fish was the 2nd biggest Bass of all, and she took 4th place! :biggrin1:

Early start! (especially from EP)

She caught a few sunfish trying for Bass

Fish On! I was so stoked for her!

Hit the playground for a little bit, waiting for everyone to gather

Prizes! (every kid gets to pick from a prize bin)

Our little Bass tournament angler! :biggrin1:

She wanted to stop at Bennetts after... ok

She was exhausted after..

I had promised to take her swimming after, and she woke back up

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next tournament was in Windsor. Just after a few days of rain, ponds were murky and flooded. She had one Bass follow a spinner, but skunked. Fishing was tough for everyone, and only one kid turned in a card for 1st. Plus side was that Michael came with to this one, and was not only good, but helpful. (He wants to join as soon as he can)

Some pictures from the day...

After her success at her 1st tournament, she was too excited to sleep much the night before. So lots of yawning

She tried hard all day though

Even though she didn't catch, the day was made for her. She got to pick prizes, plus Frank gave her some hand made jigs. She was funny. First she said. There's 4, one for you, one for Mommy, and one for Michael. Then after thinking about it for a minute said "well, you & I are the most into fishing, so I'll give you two, and I'll keep two". Then . . . "How about I keep three, and then give you one?" (she ended up keeping them all, and since caught quite a few Bass on them :biggrin1:)

Ate at Taco Johns after. A couple had a bird there. When they saw that the kids were looking, they came in, and asked if they wanted to come out and hold it.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
The heck with James!...silly red wing fan...OUTSTANDING JOB ISABELLA!!!!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

So her 3rd tournament (with the Northern Colorado JR Bass Club) was near Fort Collins.

Isabella was thrilled Kara could join us for this one (She had the day off for a wedding we had to go to) Bella started of the day with a fish that just made the card. Using a cut tail type plastic. An hour before the contest was over, one other kid caught. So she took second place! They usually have a prize for the most points, and another for the biggest fish. They let the winner pick. It was between an Eagle Claw split grip rod, and a bag of various lures. She wanted the rod, but after deciding (for what seemed like forever to her), he chose the rod. After getting over it, she was pretty happy with the lures. There were more of the jigs she liked in there as well. Aside from the lures, she received a Sportsman's Warehouse hat and patch, and a bag of plastics. She was happy.

Pictures

Bluegills don't count on the card, but they're fun :thumb:

She lost another Bass right here, but probably wouldn't have been big enough for points

Good times!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There would have been a July tournament as well. However, it was canceled. So Isabella, and another kid were the only two kids that placed in more than one tournament. So she finished the season in 2nd place over all! She joined at 8, the youngest you can join. It goes to 12.

It ended up being a great experience for her. Everyone involved in the club is really nice. Despite that the 3 tournaments were all tough fishing days, I think all the kids had fun. I know Isabella loved it! She also, is a way better Bass angler than when she started.

A few weeks ago, the club had their final meet of the season. It was going to be a championship. They changed it to a potluck, free fishing day, and the Denver JR Bass club attended as well. Awesome day! The kids had the most fun fishing they had in awhile. A ton of fish were caught...

I'll post on that soon.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
There would have been a July tournament as well. However, it was canceled. So Isabella, and another kid were the only two kids that placed in more than one tournament. So she finished the season in 2nd place over all! She joined at 8, the youngest you can join. It goes to 12.

It ended up being a great experience for her. Everyone involved in the club is really nice. Despite that the 3 tournaments were all tough fishing days, I think all the kids had fun. I know Isabella loved it! She also, is a way better Bass angler than when she started.

A few weeks ago, the club had their final meet of the season. It was going to be a championship. They changed it to a potluck, free fishing day, and the Denver JR Bass club attended as well. Awesome day! The kids had the most fun fishing they had in awhile. A ton of fish were caught...

I'll post on that soon.
How many kids on average do you think participated? I am thinking about getting my kids into it once my younger one is 8 y/o.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Very cool.

Great job Isabella!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts