Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got off work mode for the Holiday and took the family out fishing. Uku (blue green snapper) Spinning gear 50lb power pro, mono leader, gnarly strong bugger with some very sweet meat. 450' spot lock and dead bait on a circle hook.

Kahala (Amber jack) Caught by Amber,lol. Good fight not that great to eat, same spot released. Caught 2 stingrays one about 8' and said enough of that, still sore.
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pl4v4CXnj]

Mahi Mahi that put on quite the aerial display for my daughter as she fought him around the boat with the coffee grinder. This one went for a live skipjack way bigger than it's mouth and took off full speed, she dropped the bail and game on.

Theres easier places to fish but don't think there's a better place to be, Aloha

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Nice Steve! But, i'll still be content and happy just sitting here in this 7 degree Colorado weather....as long as I don't show my wife your pics.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Very nice! :thumb::thumb::thumb: (don't know how I missed this)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
this post is still up so I'll add a few pics from the last 2 trips.

This Shark was so docile, they usually go crazy, this one let me pet him before releasing.

Steve the Alaska moose hunters Ono 42lbs, he's 6'5"Here he is with his Moose

Couple more from a triple got 2 in[/URL]
We got smoked by a big Marlin scared the crap out of me before he pulled the hook.
Heading out tomorrow at 3:30 am Ouch, hopefully some more pics soon.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
You're killing me Smalls!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I guess this means you and Brain wont be doing a powell trip, spoiled!! I will have to get on the captain nemo guide schedule for next winter, tired of this white cold!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
What Island are you on? We're heading to the Big Island the 2nd week of June. Any knowledge of good guides out of the Kona area?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We're on the big island in Captain Cook on the west side south of Kona.
We caught 2 Ono (1 was 50 lbs),1 Mahi, got to try out the bait tank with some mackerel and ended the day on spot lock catching a bunch of little snappers, 1 Blue Trevally and got Hoo'd (Wahoo chew through mono easily) on live bait. We'll be in Alaska in June the summer in Hawaii is the best fishing season with lots of big Ahi around. Most charters just troll all day but a few that use live bait and known to be good at it are Bob on the Cherry pit or Shawn on the Nightrunner. Charters are inexpensive compared to other areas and they start fishing right out of the harbor. Make sure you work it out ahead of time if you want to keep fish as they normally sell their catch. PM me if I can help with anything.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
We're on the big island in Captain Cook on the west side south of Kona.
We caught 2 Ono (1 was 50 lbs),1 Mahi, got to try out the bait tank with some mackerel and ended the day on spot lock catching a bunch of little snappers, 1 Blue Trevally and got Hoo'd (Wahoo chew through mono easily) on live bait. We'll be in Alaska in June the summer in Hawaii is the best fishing season with lots of big Ahi around. Most charters just troll all day but a few that use live bait and known to be good at it are Bob on the Cherry pit or Shawn on the Nightrunner. Charters are inexpensive compared to other areas and they start fishing right out of the harbor. Make sure you work it out ahead of time if you want to keep fish as they normally sell their catch. PM me if I can help with anything.
I have talked with Shawn. He's been my favorite to talk to thus far. I'm guess we will go out with him at least for one day. Maybe a couple. Thanks for the info. I will shoot you a PM soon. Questions about shore fishing and what not. Thanks for the post and pictures.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have talked with Shawn. He's been my favorite to talk to thus far. I'm guess we will go out with him at least for one day. Maybe a couple. Thanks for the info. I will shoot you a PM soon. Questions about shore fishing and what not. Thanks for the post and pictures.
I fished on his boat a few times a couple years ago, he's a pretty fishy guy I wanted to jig and keep a few fish to eat and he got me on them, here's a few we caught on his boat

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Either you guys were real hungry or that Amber Jack met up with a shark. LOL That's a good looking haul. I'd love a day like that.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It's been a long time but from what I remember you'd damn near need to be starving to eat one of them things! Great fun to catch though!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a long time but from what I remember you'd damn near need to be starving to eat one of them things! Great fun to catch though!
Hard fighters, the 60lber on my spinning rod was a workout with multiple runs. Catch and release, full of worms and susceptible to ciguatera poisoning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts