Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went down to Pueblo today not too sure how the front would have changed anything since Friday. Water temps were 62 when I got there and touched 64 before dropping back to 63 when the wind picked up.. Well not really picked up but blew like heck. Right around three o'clock that wind started ripping. First time I've ever had to beach the toon. Sat for an hour on the bank and the wind inhaled. Thought I could make it back to my truck before it exhaled again. Wrong. I've had the toon for twenty years and today's waves were the biggest I've plowed through. Climb the front of the wave..drop into the trough..and up the next wave. It was like walking in sand, two steps forward ..one step back.

But the toon pushed through it with the little outboard screaming. Other than the roller coaster ride the fishing was good. Ended up catching 24 wipers and more than forty walleyes with three keepers. Wipers were all the same year class 20 to 22 inches. Also ten bass or so and a 16 ...17 lb carp.
(very fun fight) Today all fish were deep 27 to 37 feet. It felt good to be ...off the water.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice Dave!!!

Have you ever been nervous and get all puckered up over some waves?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice Dave!!!

Have you ever been nervous and get all puckered up over some waves?
Used to...Not anymore. When I'm down in the trough and I see the next wave taller than I am sitting in the toon. It's kinda like swimming in the surf at the beach. As long as you're floating you just get picked up by the wave..dropped in the trough and picked up again. Never have felt like I was going to be flipped. Worry more about losing power and ending up a long way from where I want to be.

Florida was a kick. I could swim out 75 yards or so and float while the waves would carry me 500 yards down the beach. I'd swim in walk back up the beach and do it over and over again. Like a free water park ride.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Wow, that had to be a bit crazy. I went out around 2:30 yesterday... I barely got to my first spot when the wind hit. Man did it hit fast and mean. So I drive back to the south marina (my boat is 19' deep V, so not terrible) but I'm alone and can't get to the dock because the wind is blowing sideways across the dock. I know better than to tie up on the windward side so I keep trying to get to the other side but with the high sided boat, it's proving futile.

There is a park ranger parked at the top of the ramp watching me and there are several other boats coming in behind me, including one of my close friends who has his two young sons with him (under 5yrs old). At this point two other park staff show up in a park truck and one grabs my rope when I get close enough. I tie off and run up and get my truck and get the boat out. Meanwhile, my buddy is floating around near the ramp waiting for my help.

The park ranger that was parked, now walks down (he is the only person in uniform) and he stands at the front of the dock, arms crossed, not moving. I have to move him a bit to get out to the end of the dock so I can get the keys for my buddy's boat. As I do, he takes offense and says, "I'm not going out and falling in that water". I go out to the end of the dock, get the keys and we get my buddy's boat out of the water. As I was backing in the trailer, I see the ranger, cigarette lit, driving away from the scene... there were still 4 boats, realy struggling, out in the water.

I hate to say it, but this dude was such a coward about the whole situation. He sat there and watched me and other struggle, not even getting out of his vehicle... once he got out, he was too lazy or too scared to even stick around. Smoking cigs was more important I guess.. I complained to the head park ranger as I left and she was very nice about it and clearly knew who he was and she acknowledged his "issues". There were also two older people in line behind me who said they saw the whole thing and were so glad someone spoke up.

I applaud the head ranger for handling this so well... the other guy really has no business working at a lake like Pueblo.

Sorry for the long post, Hobie.. nice feesh! Makes me sad I was late!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem. I figure when anyone's struggling ..ranger, fellow boater, anyone standing around should lend a hand. You might get a little wet saving someone a lot of grief. Too bad you couldn't get out but I know you live close and there's always next time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I hate to say it, but this dude was such a coward about the whole situation. He sat there and watched me and other struggle, not even getting out of his vehicle... once he got out, he was too lazy or too scared to even stick around. Smoking cigs was more important I guess.. I complained to the head park ranger as I left and she was very nice about it and clearly knew who he was and she acknowledged his "issues". There were also two older people in line behind me who said they saw the whole thing and were so glad someone spoke up.
That wind was something else yesterday! I think I know who that ranger is but I don't know his name, seen/talked to him several times and he's never pleasant, once saw him driving about double the speed limit past the N-1 cove area without his lights on too...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
No problem. I figure when anyone's struggling ..ranger, fellow boater, anyone standing around should lend a hand. You might get a little wet saving someone a lot of grief. Too bad you couldn't get out but I know you live close and there's always next time.
Yeah, I didn't mind much not getting to fish, I get plenty of time on the water. It was interesting listening to the reaction of the head ranger, she clearly knew that this guy is an issue. She made it so clear without totally throwing him under the bus.

Anyways, I'm over it and I'm glad I spoke up... John Martin is calling me tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hobiecat! This is Jason, met you there on the water with my son in the raft:) Took your advice and signed up here. Was going to email you and make sure you got back safely... We were loading the raft into the truck when the wind hit. Happy you are safe.

Thank you for your advice and kindness on the water! It made our day much better! Of course, even with your advice we managed 2 walleye, 2 bass and a 6 inch bluegill. Bet you are really jealous of that bluegill, huh? :) It'll take some practice to get to your skill level, but we are up for the challenge!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jason it was great meeting you and your son. Glad to help. That Scadden is a nice rig that you have. You guys are going to have a lot of fun together. He's at the perfect age to get into fishing. If you ever have any questions just PM me.

Dave

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also Jason the site isn't real active anymore. But if you use the search function, you'll find a lot of info on fishing, including alpine lakes. You guys have fun, enjoy that raft and keep catching fish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The park ranger that was parked, now walks down (he is the only person in uniform) and he stands at the front of the dock, arms crossed, not moving. I have to move him a bit to get out to the end of the dock so I can get the keys for my buddy's boat. As I do, he takes offense and says, "I'm not going out and falling in that water". I go out to the end of the dock, get the keys and we get my buddy's boat out of the water. As I was backing in the trailer, I see the ranger, cigarette lit, driving away from the scene... there were still 4 boats, realy struggling, out in the water.

To observe and do nothing.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hobie - another fantastic post and glad you got out of there OK. I've been catching a bunch of 20-22" wiper this year too - actually, more than ever I have to say. Which day was the wind? I'm confused because the forum date/clock isn't on Mountain time.

Not to pirate Hobie's post Oyey but - wow! What a story about the ranger. I think anyone who fishes PLO regularly has experienced something similar with the wind and fighting the docks. For the dude to entertain himself by watching others struggle - that's beyond lame. Why does he put on his uniform every day? Glad you spoke up about "the known problem".

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
all park rangers are not bad, a few years ago at the mile a bad south wind came up and everyone was trying to get off at the same time i had to wait about 40 minutes for my partner to get the trailer to the water. as i came in there was a big ranger in the water up to his neck in the lake and a ranger gal also in the water up to her neck and another one on the dock all helping boats getting on their trailers, even with help i still took about 50 gallons of water over the transom. those rangers went way above what they were paid to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts