Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I really want to get out there and hike a few miles for some fish. I am thinking about lakes that might be thawed enough to fish. What is the formula I wonder? I have fished lakes in August that were still partially ice covered, and others seem to thaw by end of May to first week of June. To me logic would dictate that is it a combination of factors like water depth, wind and sun exposure, and probably also inflow/outflow.

Just curious of anyone else experience with this. I have a few lakes that I know will be fishable soon, but I want to explore new water. Wondering if doing things like looking at Google Earth images might be helpful.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is pretty vague post-
Yeah. Was pretty stream of conscious post yesterday. How about here for specific. I know in one or two weeks I can hike in past the gate to Brainard and catch some Brookies. However I want to explore new water. Any suggestions of what else might be open water first week of June?

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Never denied in the flattops in late may early june. Check out this link. I think it shows Lincoln lake open.

tripreport.php

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'd imagine the recent heat especially in that area has thawed out a good amount of lakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts