Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to create a good list for beginner ice fisherman to go off of to determine what they need/want to have to ice fish. So at east we know whats out there as an option.

Here are a couple threads with great info for safety:

Ice Safety Tips ... spring is coming !

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=14109.0

Heaters, Lanterns, Stoves, Cars and other thing that Create Carbon Monoxide.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=22940.0

****UPDATED 10/24/2008****

LIST SO FAR:

Necessities

**SAFE ICE**

*Waterproof Clothes for the outer Layer (Snow Suit, etc)
*Warm clothes (Depending on temp and tolerance)
*Boots (Baffin, ect)
*Poles (Preferably Ice pole but any will work)
*Auger (Hand or Gas)
*Ice safety picks...or a PFD (Picks are prefered)
*Bait/Lures
*Ice Scoop (Metal one)

Non Necessities

*Ice line()
*Bucket (5 gallon for carrying your stuff and sitting on)
*Ice Cleets ()
*Fish Finder (Vexilar, Marcum, Hummingbird)
*Underwater Camera (Aqua View)
*Hut (Eskimo Quickfish, Eastman Ice Cube)
*Ice stakes (For Hut)
*Sled W/extra rope (Jet Sled or hut and sled combo)
*Grub Getter Bait box
*Headlamp or good flashlight
*Camera
*Heater (Mr. Heat ect)
*Co Detector (If using a heater in an enclosed area)
*GPS (to mark your honey holes!)
*Underwater topography maps of the lake you are fishing. ( Fish-n-Map Co. has a spiral bound
atlas with 48 maps of Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska waters. )
*Spring bobbers http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=37077.0
*Sun Screen

LURES
*Small jig heads (1/32 up to 1/4 for trout/salmon in the tubes...
1/4 up to 1/2 for macks)
*Tubes 1-3" (pinks, greens, whites, yellows etc..)
*Kastmasters (1/16-1/8oz)
*Swedish pimples
*Marabou Jigs (1/16- 1/8oz)
*Northland minnow's)
*Ratsos
*Shrimpos (pink, orange)
*Finkies

BAITS(Pending legality at some locations)
*Mealworms
*Waxworms
*Earthworms
*Suckermeat

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
I just started ice fishing this year and here is what I currently have:

Necessary:

Two rods and reels with strike indicators (either the spring bobbers or the wire ones).

Some ice jigs, pick up a handful of these.

A couple of kastmasters and/or swedish pimples.

Ice auger, I use a 6" hand auger, unless I'm at Antero.

Ice scoop

A bucket to carry it all in.

Before you go you can get mealies, waxies, crawlers, powerbait, shrimp or whatever for bait.

Optional for comfort:

good boots

ice cleats

warm clothes that are preferably waterproof so you can lay on the ice and stare down the hole and not get all wet.

That's all I have and I have had a blast ice fishing. Once the ice got really thick though, I try and go with someone that has a gas auger....it's no fun hand augering through 24" of ice.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
List so Far:

* Poles (any suggestions on Brands or what to look for)
*Ice Jigs (Variety) / -kastmasters -Swedish pimples
*Auger
*Ice Scoop
*Bucket/Sled (Any suggestions on sleds, Possibly a shelter and sled in one unit)
*Boots (Any sugestions on Brands ratings etc)
*Waterproof Clothes

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any Tips on what NOT to buy would also be very much apreciated.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
For boots, I went to walmart and spent $30 on a pair that are rated for -45. They are great for warmth but feel like moon boots, I wouldn't want to walk a long ways in them.

If you are just getting the necessities, then you don't need a sled, everything but the auger should fit into a bucket. That's the one thing I love about ice fishing...I grab my bucket, auger, clothes, and go.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Rumplemintz is the schnapps to go with! Did anyone mention ice hut? We love our Eskimo hut. Boots - Baffins are the way to go -148!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if you know your gona "get into it" taking advantage of the end of season sales is a wise thing to do.
i would grab

a hut 2-3 person. i want to get one of the ones that is intagreated with a sled that you just flip over. with a built in chair. that way all your gear can go in it for the drag and if it is nice you just sit and fish. if you want it dark or to hide from the wind flip it on over

an auger power or hand. if you go power get the 10inch with a hand auger i would stay with the 6inch. i drilled a lot of holes thru 20+inches of ice at deweese and it aint that bad. you might get both, i felt kinda stupid screwing with a 10inch power auger on 3 inches of ice at the bigining of the season

score some good warm cloths including boots and gloves. only you know your cold tolerance so judge for your self what you need. you could be fishing in temps that range from double digit minus numbers on up into the 40s maybe even on the same day. think layers, and water proof outer shell

gear
if you want to cover the spread get a couple rods maybe 3-4 from supper ultralight (for perchies and other panfish) on up to something with a little back bone for jigging the big boys up add a couple tipups and you can fish for anything anywhere anytime.

grab a few extra spools of ice line

snag a good assortment of jigs and lures

dont forget an ice scoop, get a couple you might lose one. i would stay away from the plastic jobbies. get a strong metal one

a fishfinder and/or camera

ice cleats for your boots and spikes to help you out if you go thru, a light weight pfd aint a bad idea

of course you dont NEED any of this, but a lot of the folks that get into it end up with a lot more. many of these things you might find on sale soon rather than find out you want them come december and they are either out of stock or too pricy

if your not sure how "into it" you might get. you really only need the desire to try it. most of the icers here have plenty of extra gear and would love to have you along

i am sure somewhere in between those 2 extremes you will find what works for you. 8)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Guys...Guys ...Guys...

You are missing the SLED!

Every "newbie" icefisherman needs a plastic sled that he can pull all the gear out onto the ice with!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Yup a sled...and you better be in shape, just in case no one told ya that one. Good deals on gear right now for sure. Essentials, and somebody feel free to correct me here. Boots (a must), fishin necessities, you should be able to get in for under 5 bills. Then you could be an idiot like me and spend more than 10x that much.

G

·
With relation to the sled...I bought my Jet Sled about 4 years ago and I bought a flip over shelter this year. The previous shelter was a fold up shelter that I gave away (Frabill Venture)...

Get some rope. No joke - longer rope tied to the sled so you can slip it over your shoulder and upper torso so you can pull the sled with your entire body is a huge benefit. Don't settle for the little piece of rope that comes with a sled that you have to pull by hand - it gets old quick!

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you don't get all the gear you need/want on clearance this year, Bass Pro runs great deals at the beginning of the season. Just watch the ads.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I bought a "deer drag" (Sportsman's Warehouse) at the suggestion of a member here. Makes pulling the sled MUCH easier.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts