Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone is busy arguing on here about politics and religion and living their lives in bliss while this goes on. The impacts are in our immediate future and are very real and scary. Thoughts? We are decades away from a different resource that would even come close to the benefits gasoline gives us.

I am paranoid...I will admit it. :D ...but I think for good reason. :-\

"Optimistic estimations of peak production forecast the global decline will begin by 2020 or later, and assume major investments in alternatives will occur before a crisis, without requiring major changes in the lifestyle of heavily oil-consuming nations." - and that's optimistic. The IEA has already confirmed we have hit peak oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil
http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/crude-awakening/1274
http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/respected-oil-analyst-charles-maxwell-predicts-peak-oil-production-by-2020920/

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm more worried about this.

"The objective of this study was to determine an optimal window for determining peak flatulence and evaluate the effects of oligosaccharides and supplemental beta-mannanase in soybean meal-based diets."

my guess is, the optimal window would be a wide-open one.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
so go buy an electric car and sell your boat and get a canoe don't burn wood or you will kill the planet with carbons and pick up some granola and move to boulder while the rest of us carry on as normal .

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
redleader said:
so go buy an electric car and sell your boat and get a canoe don't burn wood or you will kill the planet with carbons and pick up some granola and move to boulder while the rest of us carry on as normal .
I know redleader is being sarcastic but I honestly do see that finally we are making moves in the right direction. Nissan just broke ground in the US to build a plant to create their first mass produced electric car the Leaf. I believe this will be an viable option very shortly. With charging times being greatly reduced and increased range per charge this is something I think will catch on. I have also never seen such a push to go green quite like we are now. Sure if you don't want to you don't have to but I think that recycling and reusing are becoming so easy to do, so why not?

We didn't get in this problem overnight and we won't get out of it overnight but I am hopeful.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Iron_Mammoth said:
redleader said:
I know redleader is being sarcastic but I honestly do see that finally we are making moves in the right direction. Nissan just broke ground in the US to build a plant to create their first mass produced electric car the Leaf. I believe this will be an viable option very shortly. With charging times being greatly reduced and increased range per charge this is something I think will catch on. I have also never seen such a push to go green quite like we are now. Sure if you don't want to you don't have to but I think that recycling and reusing are becoming so easy to do, so why not?

We didn't get in this problem overnight and we won't get out of it overnight but I am hopeful.
As soon as they make an electric SUV that is as heavy(translated safe & gets as good of traction in 4WD) as what I have now, recharges as quickly as I can fill up with gasoline, gets the acceleration & performance as what I have now, can be recharged with a portable (gas-can equivalent) charger and is financially as feasible as buying a new gas powered SUV I will be interested. Anything less really isn't a "viable" option. Haven't seen anything close so far or even on the drawing boards. Recycling and reusing are almost always a great idea and agreeably are as easy to do now as ever. I am all for wood-burning stoves/fireplaces...........there are plenty of beetle-killed trees out there that are gonna eventually burn either in stoves or in a series of GIGANTIC wildfires.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
Iron_Mammoth said:
redleader said:

As soon as they make an electric SUV that is as heavy(translated safe & gets as good of traction in 4WD) as what I have now, recharges as quickly as I can fill up with gasoline, gets the acceleration & performance as what I have now, can be recharged with a portable (gas-can equivalent) charger and is financially as feasible as buying a new gas powered SUV I will be interested. Anything less really isn't a "viable" option. Haven't seen anything close so far or even on the drawing boards. Recycling and reusing are almost always a great idea and agreeably are as easy to do now as ever. I am all for wood-burning stoves/fireplaces...........there are plenty of beetle-killed trees out there that are gonna eventually burn either in stoves or in a series of GIGANTIC wildfires.
1) don't forget about a battery that will last more than 5-7 years before you have to drop $5-10K to replace them. That is a huge problem for me.

2) there is a company I saw on TV (a show called This New House) that's taking beetle kill pine and turning it into wood pellets for pellet burning stoves. It's an AWESOME application for all those dead trees, and it sounds like the company is doing really well. So that's a step in the right direction as far as the beetle kill issue goes.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think there should be comparisons done from beginning to final disposal on all this so called green way of life that the enviros are pushing as well as productivity in its lifetime. I bet we would be amazed at the actual pollutant produced in a windmill to coal fired power plant per overall out put. Same for solar panels.
A VW Jetta that gets over 40mpg and will move right along and last for 15 yrs compared to a Prius or other electric car that lasts 5.
Has this been done yet?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
I think there should be comparisons done from beginning to final disposal on all this so called green way of life that the enviros are pushing as well as productivity in its lifetime. I bet we would be amazed at the actual pollutant produced in a windmill to coal fired power plant per overall out put. Same for solar panels.
A VW Jetta that gets over 40mpg and will move right along and last for 15 yrs compared to a Prius or other electric car that lasts 5.
Has this been done yet?
Very well worded sinner........I have entertained the same thoughts. Alot of "smoke & mirrors" out there in the green movement and you hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
I hope there are some scienticians reading this thread so they'll know where to focus their research.
I'm sure they are far to busy working with such brilliant personalities such as Al Gore. This "green" stuff works.....just look at 'ol Al's bank account.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts