Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I shopped at the North store numerous times before moving. They always had what I was looking for and the prices were reasonable. Still use my King Kat rod and SSBF40 reel all the time.

I was not looking for any specialty items though... Mostly rods,.reels, terminal tackle, line, etc.

I will say that the only "less-than-positive" experience was when I had an in-store pickup item (a Shimano baitcaster for dad) it took 9 days to arrive, then I couldnt get anyone in the store to help me with the pickup because the items were stored behind that back counter by the trout aquarium and apparently the CSR who "knew where my item was" was on break for 20 minutes.

But I got the item, as promised, and for the agreed-upon amount. That extra time allowed me to browse the store and buy an extra $30 worth of hooks, sinkers, and Panthers.

Overall, 8/10 on my end... I would KILL for a damn Cabelas out here in the backwoods sticks where I live now. Nearest Cabelas=1.25 hours. Nearest BPS=1.25 hours. Nearest meth lab/worm shop, 1.25 miles.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Shopping is hard! :p Most of my shopping is done online. I don't shop the Big 2 much now (Baspro and Cabelas), but I prefer Cabelas over Basspro because:
1. They have better sales.
2. Their website is easier to navigate.
3. Their branch is closer to me, so it's easier for in store pick ups.

Unless I happen to need something right away, I order what I need and just pick it up in store. I don't want to go there and the item I want is not in stock. As Snagged Up said, shop in the winter and you won't have to worry about items not being in stock. Better deals too. I place most of my bigger orders during Landbigfish and tacklewarehouses 20% off sales. Picked up a Shimano Stradic Ci4 for $180 during Landbigfish's Easter sale for $180. I waited 2 months from the time I thought I needed another reel to the Easter sale, but I don't need the instant gratification. Some people can't forego the instant gratification though. :D

Oh, and I love shopping at Walmart. My kind of people! Good, pedestrian folks! :thumb:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I don't need that much stuff. It's nice having Bass Pro 6 miles away, but they really have a crappy selection of jig heads. At Cabela's, I can walk in and buy 25 packs of jig heads...not the four and five packs for basically the same price at Bass Pro. I guess if I was a swimbait guy, or a crankbait guy..I'd shop online. If I was looking for a high dollar rod or reel..not going to happen..for most of my fishing, a Berkley Lighting rod for $39 bucks works just fine..I'd shop online.

As far as Walmart goes..I'd be walking around naked...if I didn't shop at Walmart.

·
P I K E
10,244 Posts
Went to Cabela's today to get a new AGM trolling battery and a Hawg Trough, looked online 1st to check out the prices on the items I wanted to buy. We went straight to the batteries and the one I wanted was $219.99 when online they were $169.99...WTF!!! I grabbed it anyway and went for the Hawg Trough which online was $19.99 but in store was $20.99...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We grabbed some other stuff and went to check out, while there we find out the HT doesn't have a tag on it so the clerk looked it up on the computer which showed the online price...RIGHT ON! I asked her to look the battery up and good thing cuz she found out it was online for the $169.99...winn'a winn'a chickin dinn'a!!! I asked what gives and she replied that most store prices are more but if you know the items are cheaper online they have to price match!!! Wife got a pair of tall leather dress boots from the bargain cave, regular price $299.00 and we got them for $107.00...Good day!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am torn. Cabelas have been great to me because I am 3XXL Tall and their clothes fit my fram. But, the mini stores they have here are not that great. Seems like sizes are missing and when you talk to the fishing dept. guys, they are well, a little short on knowledge. Except for Gene who works up north. Plus, the south store is a good place to get in an accident. Who thought up that traffic flow. The bottom line is to shop the catalog and stay out of the stores.

I went in in Jan. and tried to buy some ice cleats. Fat chance. I wear a size 15 and they were no where to be found. Plus I had to explain to the guy...never mind. You get the picture. Cabelas is a great on line store but...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts