Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Once again it is that magical season where 3 lb trout become 6 lb trout, 5 lb trout become 7 lb, 20 inch eye's become 24, etc. etc. LOL. After this latest warm spell they started popping up all over Facebook. I swear some guys need a production crew and a director to stage some of shots I am seeing, lol. I heard next year the Academy Awards will have a new category called best fishing production while drunk. I wonder what percentage of those fish actually survive?

I did get out Friday and Thursday. Thursday I fished the Arkansas and caught a few browns on small jerkbaits, the largest being 17". Friday night I got 21" Saugeye but no other fish. I am a having reproduction made of my Arkansas brown right now. It is 35 inches long and has a half swallowed coyote it attacked before my Pins minnow stuck in it's throat:thumb:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Hero shots, lol.
Yesterday a fat 40" pike was caught at the Williams Fork tourney.
I was a judge there measuring fish on the ice all day, good time but lousy wet weather.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hero shots, lol.
I was a judge there measuring fish on the ice all day, good time but lousy wet weather.
Everyone has taken a shot at one time or another where their arms were extended a little, but the stuff I am seeing right now on FB and will be seeing here are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Hero shots, lol.
any big lakers kick the bucket?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
any big lakers kick the bucket?
No, it was a catch and release tournament.
Lakers had to be under 24" to be eligible and slot size Pike weren't allowed to be entered.

There were 50 some people, 2 pike caught a 34.5 and a 40"er were both released.

27.5 was the largest Laker we saw and was released.

The winning Lake trout was 23" by Eric with Army team 5 that also won the smallest caught at 8.5"
Only a handful caught over 20"
Lots of them caught between 10"-18"
Most of the fish were caught by just a few groups.
We had a total inches prize and the winners were around 600".
We had judges on the ice releasing the fish and a full time judge at a couple groups that were catching them pretty steady.
Lots of door prizes and a portion of the proceeds were for the wounded Warriors program.

No Rainbows or Browns caught.
1- Kokanee

the snow is pretty much gone with 8" of good ice now.

Was out on Granby today, about the same conditions here with more slush.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shoulda harvested a ton of those little 10-18" lakers out of Williams fork seems to me like the fish is getting overcrowded there. Granby did the 17" 3 fish slot a few years ago and it seemed to help the quality of the fish in the lake

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Shoulda harvested a ton of those little 10-18" lakers out of Williams fork seems to me like the fish is getting overcrowded there. Granby did the 17" 3 fish slot a few years ago and it seemed to help the quality of the fish in the lake
Yah we may do that next year, an 8 fish total weight under 16" or so, we need to run that idea past Jon Ewert and see what length is the highest population group and set the length accordingly as we did at Granby.

We need to be careful to not put too much pressure on the over 18"ers as they have a much smaller population.

Granby and WF have different situations.
I sponsored and put up the awards for the 3 under 17" your speaking of.
The Gill net studies at Granby are showing a slight decrease in the population of Lakers so we decided not to do that again.

WF just like Green mtn doesn't have Mysis shrimp so we see lots of them stunted under 17"s
Granby's small fish are in much better shape every stomach is full of Mysis Shrimp and we see a lot more 18-20"ers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's awesome you are so involved with it, I just kind of go
By what I've seen, and it seems the lakers in granby seem a little fatter since. And seems like the quality of fish in Williams has dropped. But that's just catching them, I know there's a lot more to it. I'm all about lakers and don't want to see any of our lakes get whipped out of them. I'm hoping Ruedi gets a better pop soon cause it's closer for me to fish

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
No, it was a catch and release tournament.
Lakers had to be under 24" to be eligible and slot size Pike weren't allowed to be entered.

There were 50 some people, 2 pike caught a 34.5 and a 40"er were both released.

27.5 was the largest Laker we saw and was released.

The winning Lake trout was 23" by Eric with Army team 5 that also won the smallest caught at 8.5"
Only a handful caught over 20"
Lots of them caught between 10"-18"
Most of the fish were caught by just a few groups.
We had a total inches prize and the winners were around 600".
We had judges on the ice releasing the fish and a full time judge at a couple groups that were catching them pretty steady.
Lots of door prizes and a portion of the proceeds were for the wounded Warriors program.

No Rainbows or Browns caught.
1- Kokanee

the snow is pretty much gone with 8" of good ice now.

Was out on Granby today, about the same conditions here with more slush.
Glad to hear it, man. I'll be out that way in 2 weeks with my kiddo for some chubby feline and a few more fish to fillet with my sick new knife. Wanted to wait till the fish got more active.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Once again it is that magical season where 3 lb trout become 6 lb trout, 5 lb trout become 7 lb, 20 inch eye's become 24, etc. etc. LOL. After this latest warm spell they started popping up all over Facebook. I swear some guys need a production crew and a director to stage some of shots I am seeing, lol. I heard next year the Academy Awards will have a new category called best fishing production while drunk. I wonder what percentage of those fish actually survive?

I did get out Friday and Thursday. Thursday I fished the Arkansas and caught a few browns on small jerkbaits, the largest being 17". Friday night I got 21" Saugeye but no other fish. I am a having reproduction made of my Arkansas brown right now. It is 35 inches long and has a half swallowed coyote it attacked before my Pins minnow stuck in it's throat:thumb:
Just got of FB and saw a 32" lake trout was referred to as a 30 year old Giant. I just thought to myself, those boys are gonna **** there bibs when they do latch into a 30 or 40 pounder.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Did you see the results of the Tightline contest on Blue Mesa? Looks like an 11 pound football shaped mac won it. I doubt that one made it back into the lake.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Did you see the results of the Tightline contest on Blue Mesa? Looks like an 11 pound football shaped mac won it. I doubt that one made it back into the lake.
I hear it is still swimming, saw that it had allot of hero shots with some young gals etc, pass that fish around then let it go......;D 11 lb fish for a 450 Polaris not bad!

·
Registered
568 Posts

The SoCo stiff Arm-y! :D:D:D

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Pictures are strange... I saw a 5lb bass caught this weekend where the pic looked like a textbook 18" and then saw a 17-18" bass that looked by the pic to be 5lbs +... Dude holding the smaller fish did not claim it to be anything other than it was... so whatever.. but it's interesting how tough it is to tell by pics some times.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
If you weigh it, its still the same weight! Just looks better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts