Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive never fished South America, but i have fished in Panama quit a bit in the past and loved it. its shorts and t shirt weather year around, and catching peacock bass down there on Gatun Lake and the local tributaries was something ill never forget. they werent as big as the ones you see on videos in South America, but they were fun to catch none the less...and its one of the few places ive experienced 100 fish days...

perhaps one day ill make it farther south...one can only dream...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have fished New Zealand and the lake district in Chile. Both are beautiful countries and the fish get big. I didn't land anything huge either place, I get a case of big fish fever which causes brain lock... New Zealand had quite a bit of public fisherman access areas. The area around Rotorua has lots of fishing in the rivers flowing into Lake Talpo. I was there in January, I think March and April were peak (getting old - memory is going). I didn't fish on the south island.

Going to Chile is a pretty cheap vacation. I flew from Santiago, to Porto Mont, drove towards Osorno, past Lagos, to Nilkki (a small tourist spot / with cabins on Lagos Puyehue) Fishing was great right in front of the cabins where a small stream entered the lake. I didn't land any of the land locked salmon or big rainbows rolling around in front of the cabins, 10-20 lbs was not an uncommon fish. There is much more private land in Chile so you might want to get a guide for some of your vacation. I was there in late February, I think the tourist season is pretty high in December and January and the fishing season ends in March - again if I remember correctly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
video is amazing, i wanna win the lottery, while im young, so i can fish the rest of my life and do nothing else

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That video is probably the closest I'll ever get other than reading Haig-Brown's "Fisherman's Winter." Patagonia isn't even on my "dream list" of places to go. It does however, figure prominently on my "if I win the Lotto list."
Suppose I'd better go buy some tickets. ::)   

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Now that, my friends, is the life. That's it, I'm gonna have to pick up on fly fishing.

1eyeReD

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, can we assume that you have your priorities in order tp, and if so, when you leavin' for Chile? :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
You got me there, no South American adventures yet for me. But a half dozen trips to the Anchorage/Kenai area, a six week trip to Kodiak, a few weeks in Thailand, and two weeks in Baja last spring have been pretty fun. Traveling to fish rocks!

TP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts