Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 10-15 years I have been through 5 sets of wading shoes/boots of some sort and I pretty much disliked them all. The main reason was I just wasn't that comfortable in them. The most comfortable were the Korkers guide series, but they were super expensive and didn't last that long.

I have simms now and they are in perfect condition after 2-3 years of use and I don't see needing new ones anytime soon as they are kinda bullet proof. With that, they are stiff, heavy and have no arch support to speak of.

I have asked numerous shop owners and reps about a lighter, more walkable boot or shoe and the answer that seems to get thrown out a lot is, they wouldn't last... no one wants that.

So earlier this year, I bought a pair of water/deck shoes from a company called SoftScience. They have been my go to shoes for fishing and anything I will be standing/walking long hours. They recently released a wading shoe and I'm planning on getting a set. It will be interesting to see how folks like them.

http://www.softscience.com/mens/fishing/terrafin.html

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good find! I was looking at the Astral Designs shoes but these look pretty darn good too...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update... Yesterday I fished 11 mile canyon for a couple hours. I took my waders but it was too hot, so I wet waded. I had my softscience shoes on and I gotta say, they are great as far as grip goes.

This wasn't a huge surprise. My back porch is colored/sealed concrete and it is super slippery when wet. In those shoes, I never slip. In the river yesterday, I was very comfortable moving about. I have a feeling I will be into a pair of these soon. I'll update this thread with a review if/when I get them

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you wear them with or without waders?
When "wet wading" do you wear socks or something?
Those look great! Never done any wet wading, so sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you wear them with or without waders?
When "wet wading" do you wear socks or something?
Those look great! Never done any wet wading, so sorry for the dumb questions.
I use neoprene socks to wet wade in... although yesterday I just waded in my bare feet and shoes. That kinda sucks though because the pebbles got in my boots and ground the soles of my feat to a pulp. It's best to have neoprene socks in my opinion, but it's not necessarily mandatory. For the record, when you can wet wade, do so.. it's sooooo nice, especially when your throwing hoppers!!!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been wanting to try them as soon as I saw them come out. Cool they have a wading shoe.
The regular shoe is so great... I've worn them all summer and whenever I fish... I'm a big fan. I'm definitely getting a pair of the wading boots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got back from a Green River trip and blew out my Simms wading boots. Had them for 5-6 years, treated me pretty well but looking to pick up something else. I believe this thread is talking about the softscience shoe, anybody have the softscience boot, terrafin? Any pros and cons on the boot? I'm pretty hard on my gear so not sure if the terrafin is built to handle the wade/hiking type of fishing I do but like the description of them. Light and comfortable. Price is also good. BTW - the Green fished outstanding. Thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wet Shoe

I have used a number of wading shoes over the years including a pricey pair of Simms, well built but bulky and not comfortable.
I switched over to a pair of neoprene NRS "Paddle Shoes" and now use these for the toon as well as on the rivers I fish. They go on and come off easily when wet, I can feel the rocks and the bottom better and my current pair have been used over 750 trips! Yes they are showing their wear and I have a couple small holes where I pull them on and off but they still work fine. Watch for a sale as I've bought these at a 40% discount.
http://www.nrs.com/category/2582/men/water-shoes
Bill

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Man...I wade and walk a lot in my boots, so there is a lot of kicking of rocks, stumps, logs, pavement, concrete, gravel roads, ect...

I wish I could get more than 1 yr (upwards of 70 trips give or take 10) out of a pair of wading boots Simms cheap or expensive, Hodgman, Patagonia, Korkers, ect.... none can take a beating from the likes of me. lol

Admittedly if I used cleats I might have gotten more use out of some boots(soles wearing out and have to get them resoled) but I still blow out the sides or the toe area even if I buy EE boots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
whadleyco - NRS makes some good gear but can't image those shoes/boots are made to take the abuse the wade/hiker fisherman type puts on them, IMO. Like CF Lurker said the rocks, stumps, etc, really take a toll on the boot. The whitewater folk aren't normally beating around the river bottom but rather holding a cold brew on the rubber boat (own a raft so guilty to this). I had no complaints on my previous simms, just curious about these softscience boots. Thanks for your input though...

·
Registered
239 Posts
LOL. I don't get but 2 years out of any shoe. Tennis shoes, hiking boots, work boots, they all fall apart. Add in dry wet dry wet and I'm surprised any wading shoe last for a year. I had my last Simms for 4-5 years(?) They looked it.lol Took a tube of epoxy, sprayed them with plasti-dip and made them work for one last winter. Still use them pontooning.

Best bet...buy cheap shoes.
Parks pass is $70 year? What's another $40 for two years. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts