Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Jackson 6/1

999 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fish Fondler 
#1 ·
Fished Jackson Lake on Wednesday 6/1 from about 12:15 to 3:30 pm. The wind was blowing a good 10-15 mph out of the soutwest, but the waves on the lake were manageable for my 14-ft boat. The fishing was out of control. I started trolling right-off the boat launch and did not make it 50 feet before the first rod doubled over. Unfortunately, I was focusing on getting my second rod out and it snapped me off (lost a brand new shallow running shad rap #5 that I just paid $5.99 for). I regrouped and got both rods back out and about a minute later I landed a 17" rainbow. This type of action continued the entire time I was there. I never went any further than 300-400 yds. from the launch. I ended up keeping 4 rainbows all over 16" with the largest being 19". I probably released another 10 to 12 trout. I also kept three wipers in the 16 to 17" range (man those fish hit hard). I threw back maybe 2-3 undersized wipers as well and lost at least a couple other wipers. It was not hard to tell when a wiper hit compared to a trout. I was flat-lining with a small silver and blue rat-l-trap and a silver and blue shallow running shad rap (silver with blue seemed to be the hot color). The wipers mainly seemed to like the rat-l-trap, but I did get one good wiper on the shad rap. This is the first year that I have fished this lake, and it will definitely not be the last!

P.S. This is my first post and I am fairly new to the site. You can not beat the information provided by this site!

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice job on the fish :) sorry about the new lure :( probaly eased the pain a little by catching all those fish. good report. Where is jackson lake?

#4 ·
Jackson Lake is near the Town of Wiggins. You take I-76 east to the second Wiggins exit (I think it is exit 66). Take a right and head north on Hwy 39 about 10 miles (there is a large sign on I-76 for the lake and other signs directing you to the lake on Hwy 39). The only place to launch a boat is in the State Park on the west side of the lake.

#7 ·
Good report!! $5 shad rap in exchange for a good trip! No sweat eh? As long as you were catching quite many then the lost shad rap will be part of a good story to tell.

Welcome to the site, bud.

#8 ·
Jackson is "the bomb"right now!I swear i keep thinking about how hard those wipers hit and pull.I think im becoming a wiper fanatic.Next is to get into some 5lb plus,can hardly imagine the fight.Great post ,makes me want head there tommorow, but work calls.

lyn

#9 ·
I will definitely exchange a lure or two for the fish I hooked. It just sucked that it happened the first hit that I had. Lynmak is not kidding, Jackson is "the bomb" right now. I would love to hook into a 5+lb wiper. Hopefully, my gear could handle it (4 lb. test). Will be out there again on Sunday morning (can not wait!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.