Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 1pm til 8pm.  Trolled Rat-l Traps near the inlet and caught 2, fat 16in. Wipers, 1 12in. rainbow and a fat 17in. rainbow.  Talked to a guy that caught 5 wipers trolling crawdads.  He said it's been slow since last week.  Another guy and his dad caught 6 rainbows and 1 Wiper.  I figured after a couple of days to warm up after the rainy weekend and it would have been great.  I guess not.  The algae bloom hasn't gotten bad yet so I'm not sure what the problem is..... maybe better luck this weekend?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Them wipers tend to go on a feeding spree and then shut off periodically. It's a matter of time, I guess. I'm just kind of resting right now and waiting for something to spark again.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am gonna hit it tommorow and i'll have a report if its still good.Went yesterday but got to the lake and my motor wouldnt start,what a pisser,so close yet so far away.Tried from the dam for a little while but the bugs were gettin to me,and the heat.I need to find some other wiper water that is as productive as jackson has been for me.I'll post tommorow........hopefully!

lyn

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is there somewhere on the site that maintains a list of these waters and where exactly they are?

Not being a Colorado native some of these places are completely unfamiliar to me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i know they sell a book called colorado lakes and reservoirs,thats what i bought when i got here.it tells you just about everything you need to know about most lakes here.
shawn

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am trying like crazy to get out there, but it looks like Friday at the earliest. Cold front coming through by then, and I will not have a boat. :-\

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't have a boat the dam is probably your best bet or somewhere near the inlet.  Crawfish on the bottom, maybe.  My dad picked some up at the tackle shop near Cherry Creek Res. (Parker and Quincy).  Sounds like 1eyeReD caught some Wipers at N. Sterling.....  It might be better?? 

·
Registered
391 Posts
How much futher of a drive is North Sterling from Jackson?Also fishit how deep of water were you in when you caught your wipers?Last time i was there they were inside the bouys at the inlet in 5 to 7ft of water,couldnt use rat-l-traps so used kastmasters instead,they run 3 to 5 ft deep.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Definitely Jackson, and definitely the dam. Last time, I only had leeches. This time, I will have the crawdads as well.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
Do you guys just cut off the tail, and peel off the shell? or do you fish the whole thing?
John
Rip off the tail and peel off the shell. Smelly hands make for smelly fish!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lynmack, we were in 6-10ft. The hotter parts of the day we caught them outside the bouys (8-10ft) but after 7pm or so we started having luck closer in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts