Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Jackson today from 6 am to 10 am. We probably hooked over 20 wipers trolling in that time period. We caught eleven legal sized wipers, lost 4-5 nice fish right at the boat, and threw back another 5-6 undersized wipers. We also caught one nice 18" rainbow. We found the fish in one small area off the swim beach on the west side of the lake. They seemed to be concentrated there. We tried around the inlet and along the dam with no luck at all. We fished over 12-15 ft. of water and had the best luck on a small silver and blue rat-l-trap (a very consistent producer in that lake).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fisher,

The largest wiper was 17".  All of the legal wipers that I have been catching out there have been between 15-17" (nice fish with a good fight).  Do not seem to get any larger fish, but I know that they are in there.  May need to change tactics to get the bigger fish, but we have so much fun catching these size wipers that I have not bothered to try anything different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay,

Have not seen any busting bait out there. Unfotunately, my transducer broke on my fishfinder and have not gotten a new one yet. We basically trolled through this area and got a double on wipers, so we marked the spot using landmarks and continually trolled through that area. We got fish on every pass through the "zone".

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Alrighty!! Jackson has never failed on them striped hybrids since I've known that lake. Heck, if this was some kind of competition, I'd be getting my tail whooped by you guys.

Great goin!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here's the other side to Jackson today.I fished from 1130-230 and caught only two medium trout.Caught them both on small silver rat-l-trap.Wow i wish i would have seen this post before leaving.I knew if i could find one there would be more but just didnt have my MOJO today!I talked to a couple of guys that caught five wipers on bottom bouncers and worms.It was dissapointing enough and then to read FFs post,very humbling!!Oh well,always next time.

lyn

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK, so I picked up a dozen large live crawdads. I'll try fresh crawdad tails tomorrow at Jackson, along with the usual leeches, worms and crankbaits. Weather is changing, so that kind of worries me, but can't control it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Im going tomorrow with my dad. I Caught yes caught myself over half a dozen crawdads so any opinions on how to use them most effectively there. Anything else to try. I really want to catch a good fish havn't got a bigun for a while now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lyn,

We got out there very early today, which I think may be the key at this point (also you escape the 90 plus temps out there and the t-storms). The last two times that I have been out there I have hooked-up somewhat late in the evening or early in the morning on wipers (I also fished a litte deeper this time: 12-14 ft. compared to 8-10 ft). The bite slowed down a bit at around 8:30 am, however, we did catch fish all morning. We only caught fish in a very small portion of the lake (off the swim beach) compared to other times that I have been out there. How did you like the number of carp floating around the inlet area? I think the key at this point is locating some wipers and concentrating on the one school or general area that they are biting in.

Take Care,

John

·
Registered
391 Posts
Im just glad to see they are still biteing.I think i was thrown off by the water temp being 80 and conditions changing.I tell you fishing is a confidence game and if i loose confidence then i start questioning myself.I think the schools will be harder to locate for the rest of the summer.Most everyone that i talked to said that it was slow so i listened instead of getting out and working the water thourghly.I was probably 100 yards from your hot spot and just never ran through there.Im trying to find some more wiper water but i think Jackson spoiled me!Thanks for the info,if i didn't see your post that was my last trip down there till fall,but now....

lyn

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lyn,

I had heard the samething, and was wondering if it was worth going out there (me and my buddy discussed it last night in detail and decided to try it one more time). I have also heard rumors that the water quality declines due to algae blooms over the summer and that the fishing declines along with it. I am glad that I had another good day of fishing out there, because I am headed to Upstate NY until after the 4th of July (will be fishing the St. Lawrence River for some smallies and walleyes). Not sure what Jackson will be like after that, but I am willing to try it at least one more time based on today's results.

John

·
Registered
988 Posts
GoneFishin said:
Im going tomorrow with my dad.  I Caught yes caught myself over half a dozen crawdads so any opinions on how to use them most effectively there.  Anything else to try.  I really want to catch a good fish havn't got a bigun for a while now.
Just peel the tail and use it on the bottom. If fishing from a boat you can suspend the tails when you find the school. Or try to drag them on the bottom. I personally think rubbing the tail juice on the leaderline helps. 1 more thing, try using them whole as you peel the shell from it's body and tail off, remember to pull the claws and legs off. Good luck and hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts