Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went back to Jackson after work on Friday. I was targeting Carp. I ended up catching one 26 inches and lost 3 others until a storm came through. Fished about 2 hours.
I am using 4lb test line. It is great fun catching these fish on light tackle. It took me 14 min to get that fish in.
I was wondering if anyone knows of what the line class record for carp is for 4 pound test? I have looked on the internet but cannot find anything.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Does COlorado have a line test record? I think they just have overall records.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I caught a 25 carp on 6 lb mono in flaming gorge back in 2001.Could it have been a record?I was in a belly boat and he spun me in circles till I was dizzy.Finally flippered to shore so I could put some arm on him and let my brother fight him for about 10 minutes till my arm uncramped.Total time was 20-25 minutes.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I caught a 25 carp on 6 lb mono in flaming gorge back in 2001.Could it have been a record?I was in a belly boat and he spun me in circles till I was dizzy.Finally flippered to shore so I could put some arm on him and let my brother fight him for about 10 minutes till my arm uncramped.Total time was 20-25 minutes.

With that said, This is why I don't understand why more people don't give carp the respect they deserve. What other fish in Colo. can you say this about consistently?

IMO

-Jay

F

·
0 Posts
i fish for carp about once a week at a local pond . its a great break from carrying all my gear around . i bring a loaf of bread and two or three hooks thats it ......most fish are 2-10lbs but its a blast . they fight so hard . I really dont understand why they dont get respect ive they deserve .

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Its because they are not good eating I guess. Lots of people don't fish for the fun or for the fight they fish to eat. I know carp is a delicacy in asia though??? strange...I like carp though they fight pretty good.

D

·
0 Posts
:mad: If I never catch another carp as long as I live it will be just fine with me.

I grew up in Kansas with the damned things everywhere, and they're everywhere out here, too. They're ugly, they roil the water, they eat organisms and breathe oxygen that could be nurturing game fish, and the list goes on. Did I mention that I think they're ugly.

No offense to those of you who like to fish for them, but I would prefer that the resources being utilized by carp be utilized by a real gamefish. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know that carp was brought over from England. They were considered a Royalty fish and long ago only Royalty in England was allowed for fish for them.
If I had a magic wand and could change all the Carp in the lakes to Wipers that would be awesome. But since they are here I might as well have fun catching them.
I have this Strawberry Bate Recipe that I use and all I catch with it is Carp. Jackson has some Monster carp in it.

D

·
0 Posts
luv2fish said:
I have this Strawberry Bate Recipe that I use and all I catch with it is Carp. Jackson has some Monster carp in it.
;D Go get 'em, luv2fish! While you're at it, catch my share, too!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Troutfishingbear yea you are right carp is a delicacy over in asia. But the carp over there look a little bit different than over here. I dont know if that makes a difference in taste or not. If u ever watch iron chef LOL u can see they look a lil different. Most asian people that i know dont eat carp over here. I have never even tasted one just from the bad rep it gets i dont wanna try. But there are people of all races that eat carp. One of my customers that came in the store told me over in oklahoma they have a place that only serves carp. I dont mind catching carp the are fun to pull in before i see them. When i see that its a carp im not going to lie its a little disappointing.LOL

F

·
0 Posts
my grandpa used to eat carp .....he said they were good . dont get me wrong im not saying im gonna drive an hour to fish for carp . I just think they are so over populated in some waters why not have some fun with them. last year at big thompson ponds I was fishing with a gob of worms on the bottom for channel cats when all the sudden my drag went screamin . It felt huge and this was right after the fishing report said some guy caught a 20lber in the back pond . (where i was fishing ) it was about a 15 minute fight before i got a look at him . yep it was a huge carp talk about dissapointment but it was still fun .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Minnesota has a great law, and i heard that Co. just changed to it I think, you can bow and arrow the stupid things. Its good fun. At Chat i found a great place for it, the extreme SW corner of the lake. Stand out there throw a bar of floating ivory soap out in the water on a string and they'll come to it and try and suck on it. Then BAM! Hs antone heard if you can bow them here, and are you even allowed to put them back in MN its illegal to replace them once they've been caught?
Thanks Fellers

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Just dont shoot your self in the foot. :)

The way some of you feel about carp I feel the same about jet skiers!!! Theres to many of them and their ugly and take up to many of my resourses.

As far as throwing soap out to get them to come over to it im willing to bet this is not allowed as it would fall under chumming and If im not mistaken you cant chum here?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

D

·
0 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
The way some of you feel about carp I feel the same about jet skiers!!! Theres to many of them and their ugly and take up to many of my resourses.
[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]
Yeah, me too! And they're noisey. And rude. And dangerous. Carp are only ugly!

·
0 Posts
Check the regs,but I think you can take carp just about anyway you want. I guess if you wanted to get technical wouldn't a bar of soap come under bait. Just tie a huge hook to it and tell them you're fishing!!!! ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts