Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to Jackson to try to help Capthook beat the skunk. We arrived at 8:00am and promptly hit the water. We trolled crank baits, we drifted crawler harnesses, we jigged, we anchored and dead sticked crawlers and leaches. We trolled again, and again, and again. We hit the dam (all of it - twice), we hit the north west side, we hit the State Wildlife Area, we hit the point, we hit the cove east of the point, we hit in front of the marina, we hit the inlet. We varied speeds - fast, slow, slower. We slashed our lines through multiple piles of sunken tumbleweed. Finally, just as the sun was starting to go down, it happened. After being close to 0 and 30, he did it. He caught his first fish since ice off...

The walleye was caught on a watermelon stripe Kastmaster. The water temp ranged from 48 to 55 (my transducer is shallow so ad a couple degrees to that). We saw two other fish caught - one wiper and one that from far away looked like a trout. All in all, a beautiful and succesful day of fishing.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Re: Jackson - Beat the skunk!

dan will be mad...he has competition :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Forgot to mention - I did talk him out of keeping it. He wanted to get it mounted. It was a struggle but the fish was returned safely to the the depths of Jackson.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts

Nice fish! don't pay any attention to the comments of TFB, no one else does.......... ;D

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts

Sorry Mr. Ed your ging to have to try much, much harder. I cauht one a half size smaller than that at Auror Res. one year. What they lack in size, the makeup in attitude.

·
Registered
114 Posts

sorry you guys didnt do that great. i have been doing ok there. i will be heading out there again next week to catch more wipers

·
Registered
75 Posts

Thanks for the info Mr. Ed. A group of us were going to hit Jackson Wednesday but now we may wait. The water temp you posted is not what I would have expected, Chatfield last Wednesday after the snow was 55-57 and because Jackson is shallow, I would have thought warmer. Another theory down the drain. Stang, based on your posts it seemed like it was finally time...or maybe you just have Jackson dialed in. Looking forward to your next report and good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts

I wish it was warmer. I saw you guys fishing and only got one for the day. I don't know if the pic will work. At least they had burritos at Stubs. When you said tiny walleye you weren't kidding.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

He might have been small but he was wirery! Thought about leaving him on the hook and trolling with him for them pike kokeaneeking caught out there. lol Atleast hopefully the curse is now off and I can start catching fish again.

Hey MobyJ, nice wiper and nice boat!

Gotta love Stubbs Gas station. I think they will even deep fry the paper bag the foods comes in for you if you want them to!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

lol yeah , the wiper are there , we forgot to mention that when we were on the dam , i saw some wipers busing shad in three diffirent locations , they are definitely active

·
Registered
124 Posts

I was out there yesterday as well and barely beat the skunk myself. The spot I hit first was the flooded brush on the SE corner. Whie ripping an X-Rap through there, I caught a 24 lb carp. That got the adrenaline going. I later got a 15" wiper as well, but that was it for me. Like Mr. Ed, I did everything to try to get more biters. I jigged the hole by the bouys near the dike, I pulled bottom bouncers, I pulled cranks on boards, I drifted live bait rigs, and I casted swimbaits around the marina. There was no shortage of hooks on the sonar, but who knows, they were probably mostly carp.

FYI, my temp readings showed 62-64 deg.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Hey Mr Ed!

You did fillet that fish didn't you? Might make a good Appetizer....for a colony of ants!

Take pride in that cath. Not many people can compete with you!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Namigoos said:
Hey Mr Ed!

You did fillet that fish didn't you? Might make a good Appetizer....for a colony of ants!

Take pride in that cath. Not many people can compete with you!

Oooohhhh, no, no, no - that isn't my pride gleaming through in that picture, that's all Capthook - he's the elite fisherman that caught that bad boy. All the credit goes to him! It's all about him!
;D :D ;D :D ;D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hook I know you didn't catch that fish, Mr Ed be advised Hook is bad luck you might be the only one to ever see him catch a fish. Nothing but love Hook ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Ed, are you sure he didn't just find him in the minnow bucket? Does finding a sport fish in the minnow bucket qualify for beating the skunk?

Way to go Capthook!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buster - I'm hoping his luck didn't rub off on me or the boat - My dad flies in Friday and we're spending next week lake hopping in Grand and Routt County. I'd like to get dad into some lakers and pike - he's used to catching fish the size of Hook's in AZ.

Talo - I can honestly say we were trolling at the time. It had been so long since he's fought a fish that he didn't know how long it had been on the end of his line. We stopped trolling in front of the marina to try another spot. He starting reeling in his line and he thought he had another tumbleweed on.

I told Hook he had just started another streak and all he'd be catching from now on are fish that size. He's denying it - we'll see how he does on Saturday. Poor guy has to redeem himself ;D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
LOL
Mr. Ed I think it may have been you that cursed me. I have no proof but I will find proof to verify this allegation. Ever since talking to you about fishing after ice-out I have been skunked. I think your No Skunks sign did it!

Buster, is this AKA "Fat Tony"? You have been plotting with Mr. Ed! I knew it!

You both must realize that I am an ELITE SPINFISHERMAN! LOLOLOLO Just kidding

:p ;D

·
Registered
65 Posts
No this is not Fat Tony but you can keep guessing. Maybe one day you can catch like me. Just kidding we need to go out soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts