Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Jackson after work to try the outlet. Water was'nt running very hard. Caught a dozen cats, 2 wipers, and 1 carp about 4" long. Action was pretty good but the fish were small. 1 wiper was 13" and the other was 11". Not any keepers but it was fun. To top it off I took the family out there and had a few steaks, dam it was a good dinner. Towards night fall I saw a small school of wipers trying to swim up stream past some rocks to the bigger pond, looked pretty cool. They were flapping all over the rocks. Stuck out like a soar thumb.

While I was eating some fish nearly pulled my pole into the river. It took my bait upstream then got off when I came running. Wonder what it was. Wiper? Catfish? Carp? Any guesses.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Good job man. I think it was a shark that nearly took your pole in the water. Was it crowded there or only you and the family?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was the only one there. Cats were'nt very big. Caught some dinker 5-6" and a few 13-16". Nothing really to big. It was fun though. Not worth the trip if your planning to catch a bunch. But it's a good time. I did'nt try the lake at all.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where the water comes out and the pond rite next down river. The wipers were caught in the first pond.

·
Registered
636 Posts
pond? I guess you mean where the canal spreads open a little right? How deep was the outlet? Could you see the bottom? Too many questions? Sorry, I was just wanting to head back out there so I need to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
FISHER32

Glad you got to go out and fish. Been soo busy with work . Havent had time to go out. Its been a while since Ive fought with a Wiper and Them Jackson CARP.

Your Qustion.. Well it might have been a carp.. But you know how them wipers hit so maybe a wiper .. Or maybe a State Record Tumbleweed. J/K .. That was what we hooked up with a couple of times back in JUNE. With the water shouting out soo Rough.. Thems things will take your line.. Kinda like a Catfish ..

steve

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotmuskie? said:
pond? I guess you mean where the canal spreads open a little right?  How deep was the outlet?  Could you see the bottom?  Too many questions?  Sorry, I was just wanting to head back out there so I need to be prepared.
Yes, it's where the the opens. I's not very deep at all. My wife said it could've been no more than 3 ft deep. The fish were really small. I was useing crawfish with a split shot. My wife was fishing the bottom, she got lots of snags. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Fisher32 said:
Yes, it's where the the opens. I's not very deep at all. My wife said it could've been no more than 3 ft deep. The fish were really small. I was useing crawfish with a split shot. My wife was  fishing the bottom, she got lots of snags. Good luck.
Hmmm... So you DO see a lot of lil wipers and catfish swimming through, rite?

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I was useing crawfish with a split shot
Fisher32

They make a new product called Bullshot...I have purchased mine at Gander Mountain...I am sure they are other places...they are shaped like the cone headed worm weights and get snagged a fraction of split shot...they seem to slide right through...the only bad part is they arent reusable like split shot...but it beats tying a new hook on every 5 minutes...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll make sure I try that Bullshot, Thanks Zman.

Yeah I saw a little school of about 5-6 little wipers trying to swim into the first pond as the night fall came. Looked like little flashes that were strangled. They were just flapping all over the rocks. Pretty cool site to see; that was priceless. I'm sure there are more in there as I caught 2 of them wipers. Jigs would probably work also, but somebody stole my tackle box from out of my garage. 6 years of collecting, that really sucks. So I did'nt try jigging at all. I did'nt see cats swimming but I think there are more cats than wipers in there. They are all really small. Oh yeah also saw some baby shads jumping around towards the night to. They were prabably swimming for their life. There are sharks in there you know. That's what pulled my pole rite H&L?

Did'nt someone post earlier about some guys that got caught netting the fish back there. Man they probably got alot of fish.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah they did a garge robbery. Took all my power tools and drills. I wish they would of just stole my car instead of take my tackle box. I was bummed out man. Now I'm just starting to build back up. :( :(

F

·
0 Posts
yea thats pretty damn low.......youve got to be a real piece of work to steal another mans tackle box

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you guys know how I felt. I think that's why my wife let me buy an ATV last night. Boy that things so much fun.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Fisher32 said:
Yeah they did a garge robbery. Took all my power tools and drills. I wish they would of just  stole my car instead of take my tackle box. I was bummed out man. Now I'm just starting to build back up.  :( :(
Hey, try to follow up on the "Cat Burgler". I saw on the news yesterday that there has been a string of house robberies and the authorities think it might be just the same guy or the same party who has been doing it.

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
They stole your tackle?  I wonder what would be an appropriate punishment for anyone caught stealing tackle?  

Maybe require them to try to safely swim across Chatfield or Cherry Creek on a hot, summer, Sunday afternoon?

Dan

·
Registered
324 Posts
i say hook'um in the lip and ty the line to your bumper and give it some slack as you tightin up the line gas it just before its tight and see if hes a jumper or a stocker

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It probably is the same party. It was a quick in and out. Little kids I believe. They could have taken my lawn mower my racing wheels but opted not to. I think it would of taken to much time. Anyways I wish they would of just left the tackle, my wifes tackle was taken also, but she not as into fishing as we all are. I never did report it though.

It would be great if they got caught. That way no one else has to go through this. For us hardcore fishermans here our tackle and poles means alot, probably more than our cars. But oh well, what goes around comes around.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Oh man .. SOrry to hear bro. One day something of their value will be stolen as well . Well we go to church but man .. KARMA will bite em in their MONKIES BUTT..

steve
-I feel your pain man

1 - 20 of 20 Posts