Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from about 9:30 to about 3:30. Caught 1 carp - 12 lbs on pumpkin colored power tube. Tried minnows, crawlers, spinners, jigs, spinnerbaits, etc., etc., etc.

Water temp was about 40 and didn't see any other fish caught or any fish by the inlet. I did notice a lot more active fish though (on the fish finder) and LOTS of carp (seems more this year than last).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey Mr. Ed,
I'll be going to Jackson on Tuesday for the first time. I won't be taking the boat (in for maintenance), but will be doing the shore game. Do you have any advice on where to fish from shore and what type of bait to use. I'll be taking my sister out who is just starting to get into our favorite sport (fishing of course) and would love to get her into anything, especially a big old Carp. Anything that would help the day would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
catfish_al

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you want to get carp. go below the dam/dike. to the first big pool below in the outlet and toss a worm in. theres a ton in there. they are huge. fun to catch. also theres alot in the inlet

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was there last week, the ranger recommended fishing the inlet near the bridge for planted sized rainbows on typical baits.

I saw a lot of folks fishing from shore at the campground South of the Marina Store and I remember the person at the Marina Store telling me about a 9lb catfish caught in front of the store on a crawler the week before Memorial Day a couple of years ago.

At the moment I think things just need to warm up. There was a lot of snow left on the plains on Saturday.

The carp I caught was east of the parking lot at the State Wildlife Area. Saw some atypical activity on the surface (thought it could be wiper feeding on shad) and tried along the north shore. It wasn't the typical slurp I've seen carp do, and it wasn't the typical swirl when they see you coming on the boat. Unfortunately, that's where the carp were. I did manage to retrieve scales on the first three hits so I know it was carp hitting the jigs.

The folks I've talked to that fish the State Wildlife Area go east of the lot and use cutbait for wiper. I've never been successful there from shore. I tried that spot from boat and didn't see much.

I didn't go to the outlet but driving over it, I could tell it wasn't really running. I don't think the irrigation draws are going to start for a couple of weeks.

One thing you may try if you aren't successful at Jackson, keep going east on I-76 to Brush. At hwy 71 (you'll see the Wendy's off the highway on the North side of the road as well as the "Don't pick up hitchhikers" sign) go North over the highway. Follow the road - it will make a right turn (east) then a left turn (North). Just before you get to the bridge that goes over the Platte on the right hand side, you'll see two ponds at a State Wildlife Area (I can't remember the name). Fish the southwest corner of the pond with crawlers or powerbait on light line and a small hook on the bottom. Biggest rainbow I've caught out of there was 14". It's a fun pond and you may get into some fish for your sister.

Good luck!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mr.Ed,
thank you for the information. This is really a fact finding trip for camping and fishing, but if your information helps me to catch a fish that would just be icing on the cake.
ColoradoFisherman members are great,
catfish_al

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
One thing you may try if you aren't successful at Jackson, keep going east on I-76 to Brush.  At hwy 71 (you'll see the Wendy's off the highway on the North side of the road as well as the "Don't pick up hitchhikers" sign) go North over the highway.  Follow the road - it will make a right turn (east) then a left turn (North).  Just before you get to the bridge that goes over the Platte on the right hand side, you'll see two ponds at a State Wildlife Area (I can't remember the name).  Fish the southwest corner of the pond with crawlers or powerbait on light line and a small hook on the bottom.  Biggest rainbow I've caught out of there was 14".  It's a fun pond and you may get into some fish for your sister.

Good luck!
That would be Brush SWA, last couple of times I was there there wasn't any water in the ponds, hopefully change this year with the snowpack we've got.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The place I'm referring to is between Brush SWA and Cottonwood SWA. I can't find the name on the DOW map. It's below Snyder south of the Platte off of 71. I was there about 4 weeks ago catching rainbows (there was still ice on Jackson). I fished it many times last Spring, Fall, and Summer.

I hunt doves at Brush and I know that isn't the place.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those ponds are called Wacker Ponds. I live across the bridge in Snyder.
-The ponds never go dry. the big pond is 30ft deep. I fished there on Saturday with the kids and we caught 16 little trout.
-The pond to the east is reserved for kids 15years or younger.
It is fun and there are a lot of people that fish it. So it doesn't take long for the lake to get fished out once it is stocked.
*-But there are a lot of little blue gill in there also.

Gool luck fishing,

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey - thanks for the update - that's the name I couldn't think of!

I've seen some big shadows lurking in that pond but never pulled anything up of any size. Usually stop when fishing isn't any good at Jackson or Prewitt and I don't have the boat with me.

I usually catch & release there because it's usually pretty warm out there and it isn't worth trying to keep things cold on the way back to Denver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts