Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about heading out to Jackson this Sunday for the first time and was wondering if anyone has any tips, info, reason they might think this would be a bad Idea ect. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. ???

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
According to the Colorado State parks website for Jackson, there are fish getting caught. If the inlet is flowing there is usually very good fishing for wipers there.

Thats all I know.

Dan

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
A few years back I had my best season of fishing ever because of Jackson but recently I've been skunked more times than I want to admit. I'm not exactly sure what happened but I know that lake has fish...it's a matter of finding them. In the past, the marina was rockin'--crawdad tails and cut shad that we netted from the marina...haven't seen a shad in years there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW that's disheartening.. Well thanks for the info.. Any other recommendations out east?? It seems I always find my self up north or out west, I would like to try out east..

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
North Sterling...along the rocks in the early morning right before the sun comes up...to the right of the swim beach is pretty good too but a lot of undersized fish are there. Caught my biggest wiper at Sterling...28"--yummy to the tummy!

M

·
0 Posts
In about 3 or 4 weeks hit up Prewitt for cats. This year should be good.

They stocked walleye and sauger this year as well as wiper. Could be fun but I'd expect undersized.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Prewitt is still alive? Wasn't there some sort of fish kill--red algae??? Where are the spots at Prewitt--never been. Is it before or after Jackson?

M

·
0 Posts
About 3 years ago, the cat fishing and wiper fishing was excellent. Then it went to dead pool. They rescued a bunch of fish at the outlet and put them back in the lake. Last year wasn't as bad and this year, it is at full pool (at least before the irrigation starts). As mentioned, they've stocked it again.

Prewitt is between Brush and Sterling - you can see it from I-76. If you're going from Denver, get off at the Moreno exit and go west, then head north. The entrance will be on the right hand side.

I've seen wall to wall wiper fisherman at the inlet in the past. I've fished for catfish along the road in the coves right in amongst the brush. Per the DOW report, the boat ramp is scheduled to go in today (weather permitting). You can also fish right from the dam.

Just make sure you're 100% legal. The DOW usually patrols it once in the evening and the local sherriff patrols about every hour (meth labs are a problem in Eastern Colorado-one was busted at the North Sterling campground last fall).

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Prewitt used to ROCK on the channel cats. In my boat,we would drift around out in the middle usually west to east cause of the normal breeze. We would drag walleye spinner rigs with pieces of sucker meat and SLAY the cats. All day long-20"ers to 12 lbers! You would see them on the fish finder almost always exactly 1 foot off the bottom. As the baits would reach the spot,BOOM Fish on. Love that place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well we made it out to Jackson on Sunday.. Beautiful day and this one made it a little nicer. Not a whole lot of action caught one more from shore while we were having lunch but not worth keeping probably only 15" or 16"

Thanks for the tips all..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Prewitt is my favorite warm water fishery. Last year 70,000+ saugeyes were stocked and this year 70,000+ catfish and wipers were stocked. They also put a bunch of stocker trout in there for the first time since the 80's. Hopefully it will be good this year because the DOW did a fish count and said that there is a good number of big fish still in there. My dad and brother went out last saturday and didn't even get a bite. The ranger said that nobody has been having any luck yet this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts