Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 8:00 A. M to around 12:00 wind was very bad I did manage to hook into 2 wipers. I got 1 to the boat and lost the other after about 30 sec. The 1 in the boat was nice sized around  17" released it since I didn't feel cleaning it after taken a beatin in the wind. Saw MuskyBill there and he said he caught 6, but he was there about an 1 hour before me.  I don't know why they can't put boat ramp on both sides of the levy then just close the up wind side. That's the 3rd time this year I've taken a poundin from the wind on that lake. I think it helps the fishing, I'd just like to see it one day less than 20 or 25 knots.  Sorry no pics today maybe Musky Bill will post his.

Eric hope you and your Pa did get the same kind of wind.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was at Jackson today also. Best day I've had in quite a while. Caught about 16 wipers, 2 trout, and a carp. The wipers all ran 14 1/2" to 17". :) I was in the red, gray, and white I/O a few hundred yards out from the marina store. The stringer of fish in the pic were caught from about 8:30 to 11:30 AM. The afternoon was pretty much a repeat of the morning except founf the fish farther north.
The wind was pretty bad, but nothing like a few weeks ago when I got blown off the water. Did some damage to my boat. I'd like to know who's idea it was to put the boat ramp out on the end of a jetty. ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Good job guys, nice looking fish QuickRelease. What were you catching those wiper on?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nice stringer of fish. Sorry to hear about the boat getting beat up though.

A question for you and anyone who fishes Jackson on a regular basis. Does that bite last through June? I have narrowed down my list of locations to take my boys before the one soon to be graduate goes to basic training on June 21 and Jackson is on my short list.

Dan

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was trolling a silver shad rap. Jackson is really spotty. Today is the best I've done there. Yesterday I caught about a dozen rainbows, 10 of which were over 17", and not one wiper. The water really turns green (pea soup green) about Juneteenth if I remember right. Senility really sucks, but at least you meet new people every day. ;D I've never done well there later in the season.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I still think you ought to take them to Trinadad...you wont be sorry...and a lot less pressure...

E

·
0 Posts
We hit Jackson today 05/21/2005.  The wipers and trout were biting pretty good.     Biggest was a 7 lb wiper.  Trolled bottom bouncers and sprawlers all day.  Paid the price when getting the boat out by getting hit by two different boats while my boat was tied to the dock.  Bent my kicker's prop up pretty good.   

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job I didn't do near as good. I was picking up the family right before you boarded your passengers. I had to drop them off after about an hour cause they didn't like the wind and the waves. I was fishing out of the Moby Jr. I'll be back cause I know there's some nice fish yet to be had out of that lake. Hopefully this weekend. Do you carry a marine band. If you do I'll hail you and let you know the status of my luck. Nice job!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have Cobra walkie talkies. Channels 1-22 with sub-channels 0-38. Don't know much about them. Are these compatible with Marine Band? If so what channel would you be on? It would be great to communicate with other members while out on the water.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure about the Cobras. Marine band is regular ship to shore radio telephone although it does require some knowledge of the FCC protocols. Any boat on the water can have one. It is used by the boat patrol and marinas at lake powell and Coast Guard. I think the Colorado Park service also carries them. They are acceptable for cilivian use as long you don't hog the channels. They have good line of site distance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts