Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at least I hope...If the weather holds and this house lets me...I dont have a reg book and havent fished there in a few years...they on the standard nothing less than 1.5 inches for plastic?...can you use Gulp if its longer than 1.5 inches...I will probably look it up later...this was easier...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
From the 2011 Regs ~

99. Delaney Butte Lakes (North, South, and East) - Jackson County
a. Fishing is by artificial flies and lures only. Scented flies or scented lures may be used on this water if they are 1.5 inches or longer.
b. The bag and possession limit for trout is two fish.
c. All brown trout between 14 and 20 inches in length must be returned to the water immediately upon catch.
d. All rainbow and cutthroat trout between 18 and 22 inches in length must be returned to the water immediately upon catch.
e. North Delaney Butte Lake:
1. Fishing is prohibited from the dam and within 100 feet of the dam from September 15 through November 15.
2. Fishing is prohibited in the inlet, upstream of the standing water line.
f. South Delaney Butte Lake:
1. Fishing is prohibited in the inlet, upstream of the standing water line.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew there was something screwed up with the regulations...Don cut and pasted the specific regs for the Delaneys...then there is the definition of artificial and bait:

ARTIFICIAL FLIES AND LURES means devices made entirely of, or a combination of, natural or synthetic non-edible, non-scented (regardless if the scent is added in the manufacturing process or applied afterward), or materials such as wood, plastic, silicone, rubber, epoxy, glass, hair, metal, feathers, or fiber, designed to attract fish. This does not include anything defined as bait below.
BAIT means any hand-moldable material designed to attract fish by the sense of taste or smell; those devices to which scents or smell attractants have been added or externally applied (regardless
if the scent is added in the manufacturing process or applied afterward); scented manufactured fish eggs and traditional organic baits, including but not limited to worms, grubs, crickets, leeches, dough baits or stink baits, insects, crayfish, human food, fish, fish parts or fish eggs.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On one hand it says on the Delaney line that fishing is by artificial flies and lures only, but then it goes on to say scented over 1.5 inches, but yet in the definition of artificial flies and lures it says non-scented. I just couldnt remember if Gulp fell under that scented designation...it clearly does not reading the bait definition...Gulp is clearly bait and I will leave it at home...so untighten your manties...I just hadnt been up there in awhile and I knew the reg was contradictory...I just couldnt remember how it all worked...or in this case didnt work...

·
Registered
648 Posts
zman said:
On one hand it says on the Delaney line that fishing is by artificial flies and lures only, but then it goes on to say scented over 1.5 inches, but yet in the definition of artificial flies and lures it says non-scented. I just couldnt remember if Gulp fell under that scented designation...it clearly does not reading the bait definition...Gulp is clearly bait and I will leave it at home...so untighten your manties...I just hadnt been up there in awhile and I knew the reg was contradictory...I just couldnt remember how it all worked...or in this case didnt work...
Maybe im in the wrong but wouldn't gulp be just like any other soft plastic over 1.5 inches that's scented. Atleast in my tackle box I've got a whole array of plastics, lures, jigs that are scented but they are all over 1.5". That's the way I understand it. Next time I run into the ranger im going to clarify. He's never busted me before and I've showed him my stuff tons of times

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will send the DOW an email and see what they have to say...

·
Registered
724 Posts
jamiehughes said:
zman said:
I think I will send the DOW an email and see what they have to say...
you may be more confused after their explanation than at the begining... ???
Z-I REALLY want to see the response on this because it is a cross up on direction as they have it-ok if over 1.5 inches, not ok because its scented etc. It would be good just to have clarity here.....I love tossing Power Minnows in general at many places......so??

Jamie: Question, and let me preface it: "I have ALWAYS belived there a is a fair number of ice fisherman up @ Delaneys (including locals) that use bait as they have the protection of walls of the ice hut, and especially likely to do so during tourneys",
So the question is: what have you seen and how do you see this, is it something that happens often or no?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Let R Rip said:
Jamie: Question, and let me preface it: "I have ALWAYS belived there a is a fair number of ice fisherman up @ Delaneys (including locals) that use bait as they have the protection of walls of the ice hut, and especially likely to do so during tourneys",
So the question is: what have you seen and how do you see this, is it something that happens often or no?
i think it happens quite regularly...i am not gonna give up all the how's and who's but i hear lots of things from lots of people up there, and have seen it.. somebody i know just told me about two russian fellas(his friends) catching 2 26 inch cutbows outa south delaney on a certain "bait" because they thought it was legal everywhere except north delaney...i guess they couldnt read the big sign that greets ya when you pull into the lakes that says "bait fishing is prohibited at all 3 lakes"...i spent hours with this dude trying to show him that it was illegal, just because he had read different at fish explorer... not sure why people think that you cant catch big fish without bait, lots of fishermen do it all the time...i couldnt afford the hit my good fishing karma would take if i cheated with bait....

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The regulations at Delaney Buttes are conflicting. On one hand it says artificial lures and flies only on the other hand it says specifically scented lures/flies are allowed if they 1.5 inches or longer. Two questions come to mind here:

Can you use Gulp products (tubes/minnow jig bodies) that are 1.5 inches and longer?

Can you apply commercial fish attractant to a 2 inch long plastic tube jig?

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
zman said:
The regulations at Delaney Buttes are conflicting. On one hand it says artificial lures and flies only on the other hand it says specifically scented lures/flies are allowed if they 1.5 inches or longer. Two questions come to mind here:

Can you use Gulp products (tubes/minnow jig bodies) that are 1.5 inches and longer?

Can you apply commercial fish attractant to a 2 inch long plastic tube jig?

Thanks for your reply.
my understanding is the gulp stuff is a no no, and i think they still dont want you using applied scents, but i know that "prescented" lures are okay but again it is all in the translation....i just dont use anything because i would hate to get a ticket there for something "iffy".. i think it is kinda the game wardens call up there, and josh is a pretty good dude, so next time i see him (i'm sure he will be at the tournament walking around) i'll ask him...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm glad I don't use bait and have figured out an artificial they will willingly take! Have any of you heard if anyone has been driving their trucks on the ice up there or is there too much snow on the lake?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the reply I got from the DOW...surprising answers on both questions...I think he left off the word "can" after the first "you"

--- On Wed, 2/2/11, Fisher, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: Fisher, Bob <[email protected]>
> Subject: Scents
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
> Hi Mark,
>
> You use Gulp products (tubes/minnow jig bodies) that are
> 1.5 inches and longer and you can apply commercial fish
> attractant to a 2 inch long plastic tube jigs on
> specifically listed Bodies of Water like Delaney Buttes.
>
> Thank you for your email,
>
> Bob
>
> Bob Fisher
> Colorado Division of Wildlife
> 6060 Broadway
> Denver Colorado, 80216
> [email protected]
> (303) 297-1192
> >< { { ( ° >
>
> Looking for a Great gift?
> Subscribe to Colorado Outdoors only $10.50 for one year (6
> issues) includes Fishing or Hunting Guide
> 1-800-417-8986
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]]
>
> Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 4:44 AM
> To: Wildlife, Info
> Subject: Delaney Buttes
>
> The following question has been submitted through the
> Division of Wildlife
> FAQ Ask A Question page.
>
> The regulations at Delaney Buttes are conflicting. On
> one hand it says
> artificial lures and flies only on the other hand it says
> specifically
> scented lures/flies are allowed if they 1.5 inches or
> longer. Two
> questions come to mind here:
>
> Can you use Gulp products (tubes/minnow jig bodies) that
> are 1.5 inches
> and longer?
>
> Can you apply commercial fish attractant to a 2 inch long
> plastic tube
> jig?
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Division: Division of Wildlife
>
> Topic: Fishing
>
> Subtopic: Other
>
> From: Mark

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
That's the way I read the regs, although they are certainly not as clear as they could be.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jamiehughes said:
!!!!!!!!!!! NO BAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!! some peeps seem to still have a problem with this.... even the locals up there it seems.... :mad:
I was more worried cuz I have all different tubes and scented baits all mixed up. I know I am weird but I would be mortified if I got a ticket or got accused of something improper...catching fish isnt that important. Good luck I hope you win it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts