Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Damn! Beats what I've caught thus far. I will get some posted though of what success I've had thus far. Looks like my rio is gonna freeze up here over the next few days. Sigh...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys I usually lurk but Ive been too busy lately to get out much so Ill play. Although I have only been out a couple of times I have done alright.

First day out. Date on the camera is way off, I just noticed that. I think it was Jan. 3rd.

2nd day out

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Troutslayer you need to switch your name to Tailwaterslayer. You sure have those places dialed in. Do you ever fish anywhere other then tail waters.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Trout said:
Troutslayer you need to switch your name to Tailwaterslayer. You sure have those places dialed in. Do you ever fish anywhere other then tail waters.
I'll answer that for him. Nope.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carp called it. Especially, in the winter, I mainly only hit the old Tailwaters. There are too many good ones close to home. In the summer I try and get out to some other rivers. Mostly freestones. They just don't hold as many of the piggies as the tailwater rivers do. I do want to get out though and try the aresnal a couple times for some of those big glowing pike ;D I just need to get me a more sturdy rod. I'm afraid I might break the old 5wt.

Plus, I will always hold a special place in my heart for the old DS, Deckers/Cheesman, Blue, etc... No matter how many times I go I still love going back :)

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I use to pound those spots but I just got tired of the crowds. Ice fishing has filled the void for me as far as big fish go and when I fish open water I like the solitude of the big rivers. You dont get the pigs in your pics but then again your not fishing the same holes over and over and small crowds if any at all. I guess whatever floats your boat its all good. I still remember the old days at spinney and when we would find a hole stacked up and there was no way you where moving form that spot ;D

·
Registered
541 Posts
MSC, nice Pan pigs! Were you getting them out of the ole TB or spotting them downstream in the flats?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, those crowds are still there, but I find them entertaining. You get some real entertainment on those rivers at certain times. Some real special folks doing some interesting stuff. I bet it is similar to that first ice up there at Antero. You will have to start joining us on some of these tailwater excursions. Same old holes and runs and same old piggies. I love to make my way up and down those rivers. I am a walker, but you just can't at certain times of the year. By the time you make your way down a river and head back. Every spot is taken. Part of the experience though. Nothing like old Spinney was back in the day though. What a madhouse that was ;D

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
First ice usually isn't to bad thats because its first ice and we probably shouldn't be walking on it to begin with :D Im getting to fat for first ice its definatley a skinny mans game.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Eastcoastangler said:
MSC, nice Pan pigs! Were you getting them out of the ole TB or spotting them downstream in the flats?
I always fish the flats, the bend, etc. The toilet bowl is fun but not really my style. I love sight fishing for big fish! Im with you Troutslayer, tailwaters in the winter are prime. Although I will admit, I hit em pretty hard spring, summer and fall too ;D. I just never have gotten over the thrill of casting to a bright red 10lb trout that has a PhD. I dont fish the Blue enough though. Been there a couple times and never saw anything double didget, but I know they are there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MSC - Sounds like you and I are the same type of ff's. :) I have hit the flats at the Pan a handful of times, but never in the winter. I am a chicken driver and try to avoid the snowy roads at all cost ;D Maybe I will have to hit that old Pan more often. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts