Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Colorado fisherman. My name is The Rocnesmonsta and I am a native of Colorado..... this is my habitat and this is my first post. Been reading some of the topics in here, seems like everyone is pretty cool. Just wondering if anybody has heard of Japenese Nymph Legs. I have heard of them in a recent thread in FlyTier....FlyTyer. It was a dry stonefly imitation and they made this fly look like a killer. Looks like they would work on nymph imitations as well. Anybody have any idea where I can locate these.

Peace,

The Rocnesmonsta 8)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
wonmorefish said:
SAy I wanted to buy the Japanese nymph where would I go???
There was a guy at the Fly Fishing Expo, tying some and selling them... He was a young guy from Denver. Sorry I cant remember his name, but maybe someone else on the site can point you in his direction. The guy said he doesnt fish with them though.

I found this one on the web looking its pretty sweet:

W

·
0 Posts
ePiC said:
wonmorefish said:
SAy I wanted to buy the Japanese nymph where would I go???
There was a guy at the Fly Fishing Expo, tying some and selling them... He was a young guy from Denver.  Sorry I cant remember his name, but maybe someone else on the site can point you in his direction.  The guy said he doesnt fish with them though. 

I found this one on the web looking its pretty sweet:

No way, that's gotta be a real one carefully threaded onto a hook. And what the heck is that white thing hanging on the hook bend, or do I even want to know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess I should have asked if you planned on fishing with the pattern you described.  If you are, then I would stay away from the shrink material for a couple of reasons.  First off most likely the shrink material will become rigid and not move like the natural stoneflies do.  Secondly if the you fish stones like you're suppose to, then you are going to end up loosing a lot of flies.  Personally I would hate to spend a lot of time tying patterns that I know I'm going to end up loosing sooner rather then later. 

If I recall the pattern shown by ePiC took almost 6 hours to complete!!!  There is a tremendous amount of detail in that pattern and it looks as real as it comes, but I don't think it was designed to be fished with.  But who am I to say??

W

·
0 Posts
Do any of you guys have some websites you use for fly patterns and tying instruction. I use the patternindex which has a million flies but not some of the colorado specific flies. I have also used hatchchart but again it seems to be lacking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you BigRedFan, why would i fish something that looks so natural and took me 100 hrs to tie. But then again there could be that one instance that its the only fly that a 10 pounder wants to eat. I guess I better start focusing more on my drifts or devise a fly that easy to tie but whacks the fish as well. Anybody have any go to stone fly imitations you want to share.

Peace

The Rocnesmonsta

·
Registered
271 Posts
rocnes one of my favorite stonefly patterns is called a 20-incher.  Here's a picture of what it looks like:

There's something about peacock that just adds to any fly.  The only down side to peacock is that it's not a very durable material.  There are a couple of ways to help that and one is to tie in a additional piece of 6/0 thread in and wrap the peacock around the thread.  You can also add some Zap-A-Gap underneath the body to help reinforce it as well.   

If you want to add some additional action to the fly you can always substitute some rubber legs into the pattern.

Hope that helps some. 

G

·
0 Posts
20 incher looks good.. Agree on the paecock- one cool thing about the Nor-Vise is you can spin the peacock herl on thread and make a rope- very durable and even when it gets chewed up, it won't fray off.

windknot look at http://www.danica.com/flytier/index.html hard to search but it's got lot's of flies.

W

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the website Mr. Glass. Had a bunch of flies that I've been looking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts