Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering making a purchase. Are they effective when it is cold enough to re-freeze the hole in the ice? Is it very eazy to clear the ice without senting off the mechanism? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It depends. If trout fishing, you should be fine clearing the hole but for perch I have it set extremely light and have set it off while clearing the hole

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
You don't reel in, just move the line to the side of the hole and clean, reset if it trips. After using them for an hour of fast action you can reset them with one hand without even looking

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
it is worth whatever effort it takes.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I just use my hand to scoop ice from around the line. Just be careful not to stand directly over the jacker, so that if you bump the line you won't get whipped in the face

·
Registered
902 Posts
ive heard some folks like to use the bobbers from the automatic fisherman with the jjs. the bobbers are made so they can freeze in the hole and the line goes freely through the center of the bobber. I just do what mnbassfisher says and pull the line of the trigger so i do not accidentally hit the trigger. i think lightly lifting the line sometimes even triggers a bite.

·
Banned
553 Posts
biggest fish on my JJ so far is a 3lb smallie, caught a 20inch laker in 12 fow once on it as well, ive used the JJ and the auto and the auto is a good setup but you dont have the option for fine tuning. i just hate the little tie on the side of the eyelet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts