Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is already a thread on Jefferson conditions; however, I'm interested in general information. Never been up there, but just want to try a new lake.

How far is the drive after turning off 285? Friends and I have snow machines so just trying to determine how far the ride will be based on conditions and where we'll need to unload. Looking to ice it Friday and with the predicted storm it could be interesting.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ed

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Drive north 'bout 2 miles from 285 to the first gate. (pay station, altho there are no envelopes to pay. ?) Suggest not driving past 2nd gate, good place to unload, 'tho that was 2 weeks ago. Lot more snow now, methinks. Don't be a hero, and try to drive as far as you can. It might cost you $200+ for a towout. Not worth it. Then about 2 miles or so to lake. Keep a few smaller macks, lots in there. Boys and girls over 22 inches, release for future enjoyment. . Fun lake, lots of trout too, and the wind will make you wish you were back home. Brutal.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lake1177 said:
Drive north 'bout 2 miles from 285 to the first gate. (pay station, altho there are no envelopes to pay. ?) Suggest not driving past 2nd gate, good place to unload, 'tho that was 2 weeks ago. Lot more snow now, methinks. Don't be a hero, and try to drive as far as you can. It might cost you $200+ for a towout. Not worth it. Then about 2 miles or so to lake. Keep a few smaller macks, lots in there. Boys and girls over 22 inches, release for future enjoyment. . Fun lake, lots of trout too, and the wind will make you wish you were back home. Brutal.
Thanks for the info.

albow said:
Fresh snow plus high winds means BIG, soft drifts! Don't say nobody didn't tell ya. . . :)
Appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
73fisherman said:
I am going to snow shoe in next week if you want to go ;D
I bet you my snowshoes are faster than your snowshoes!!!! :D

73fisherman said:
here is a site that is udated atleast once a day. The store also caries sucker meat
http://www.jefferson-market.com/

Thanks for the link. If I see you up there I'll give you a ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SLAYERFISH said:
checkers8 said:
jbenjamn - THANKS DUDE!
Doug says he doesnt want to scratch the Summit. Me neither-
Sounds like Doug wants to baby that new machine. Due to this latest storm it's gonna be interesting for sure. Checked NOAA earlier and their predicting -42 F windchill for Jefferson on Saturday. :'( :'(

·
Registered
297 Posts
that tow is a hell of alot more than 200 dollars if you get stuck.... FYI.

and Jefferson is an awesome lake to ice, but it's a very cruel mistress in the winter. if the weather is crappy up there, I wouldn't go up there unless you are prepared.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The forecast for the next few days sounds brutal! Even on a good day, that is not a trip that you want to make by yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Talked to some friends yesterday and there uncle went up last week? A sled is a must! The story was, back bowls- 20 feet of water- sucker meat on a jig? These old boys know the lake!!! They took some small ones for dinner an let several over 30 inches go. One picture on a cell phone and it looked over 25 lbs. See if i can get the picture for the show an tell crowd?

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
VN/VET69-70 said:
Talked to some friends yesterday and there uncle went up last week? A sled is a must! The story was, back bowls- 20 feet of water- sucker meat on a jig? These old boys know the lake!!! They took some small ones for dinner an let several over 30 inches go. One picture on a cell phone and it looked over 25 lbs. See if i can get the picture for the show an tell crowd?
I for 1 would be very interested in that pic. It'd give me a reason to sled up there-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts