Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jefferson lake 01/15/06

Big Worm & I headed to Jefferson expecting an early blizzard & a very cold day. Were blessed with sunshine, fairly warm weather, infrequent wind & lots of fish ? you gotta love Colorado for that one.

Iced 50-60 fish total throughout the day (no bs), we tried to keep an actual fish count, but that only lasted about 30 minutes as the fish were hammering us ? approx 15 FOW near a big dropoff, I think it was 45-50 fow about 20 yards from us. Fishfinder had a full screen most of the day in that spot ? how many fish could be there? We probably missed 40+ stikes each.

We were on the lake about 7-7:30am, about 3pm the expected blizzard moved in & it was ?run like hell?. The lake was an almost white out when we got off the ice

First, We tried an area we were at a couple of weeks ago, but the auger was completely submerged & did not punch thru, we even shoveled down to hard ice. So we searched for another area closeby. Fish on! Size range 8-15" ?. All Rainbows, 1 brown, about 15 black bows. We used tubes, mealies, red mealies, orange power bait, etc. caught a bunch of various size, I mainly used a 2? green tube, sometimes with a mealie, sometimes not - both worked fine.

About 12:30, we were almost full on the bow limit (being very picky on keepers), so we tried for some lakers in about 58 FOW, marked fish, but it was very slow & no bites. so we went back to shallows & fulfilled bow limit.

[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

Total of 5 people on the lake today ?.. It was us & 3 guys w/ ATVs. The road had a lot of dry spots down low, almost too much for a snowmobile, but with this storm it should be a little better. I assume the ATVs made it up ok today, these guys  were very happy, I loved their 360s on ice.  As we were riding down we came by two trucks stuck in snow on the roadway, not sure what they were doing

Was a great day, had bright moonlight all the way there and a HUGE herd of Elk was in the meadow below park entrance, was too dark for camera. I thought they were cattle until we got close. The field was full of em, on both sides of road. Looked like all of em were cows, didn?t see any antlers. have never seen that many elk ever. Was cool to see them all run together as we drove by

During the ride up in park, the moon went down almost exactly at the same time the sun came over the hill .. was very cool ? thanks to Colorado livin!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you turn the fishID option off on your finder, it's easier to track the vertical movements of the fish (the finder will show you a line across the screen rather than a bunch of fish symbols). If you have fishID turned on, the finder will identify the same fish several times, as if it is multiple fish, and you may think there are more fish down there than there really are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
wow sounds like you had a great day of catching with some great weather good report i wish i was that lucky this weekend

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Days like that are the reason I fish... Great story.

·
Registered
935 Posts
lynmack said:
Just a note,that one fish looks(or Is) a cutthroat.Thanks for the great pics!

lyn
I thought the same thing

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lynmack said:
Just a note,that one fish looks(or Is) a cutthroat.Thanks for the great pics!

lyn
Here's a closeup of that one, was my final keeper

Thats what i was thinking too. we actually caught a bunch like that, with red gills  - wish i had more photos of individual fish, was a busy day

also, that brown one doesnt look like any brown Ive seen before, the spots look more like a rainbow?

The browns im used to catching have bigger spots encircled in black: Ie: Waterton browns

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
the color of the gill plate doesn't tell you if it is a cutthroat or a cutbow. what you look for is the orange or red slash on either side of the underside of their jaw. you usually have to really look for it to see it. the one is definetely a true cutthroat(the gold one with the spots) but the telltale slashes are not visible in any of the pics. i think that as the spawn gets closer the fish's gill plates get more brightly colored. we caught rainbows this last weekend that are already starting to fill up with eggs..

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jamiehughes said:
the color of the gill plate doesn't tell you if it is a cutthroat or a cutbow.  what you look for is the orange or red slash on either side of the underside of their jaw. you usually have to really look for it to see it. the one is definetely a true cutthroat(the gold one with the spots) but the telltale slashes are not visible in any of the pics.  i think that as the spawn gets closer the fish's gill plates get more brightly colored.  we caught rainbows this last weekend that are already starting to fill up with eggs..
the gold/brownish one is a cutthroat ?? I have a photo of it with camera flash on, really shows it good. second photo is taken from a short video, is a little blurry

As far as the orange slashes, a few fish definatly had those. at the time i was wondering if it was a cut or not, im not the best with distinguishing bows, cutbows, cuts

Had one was loaded with eggs, had another with a huge sperm sac

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know where to find the Regs for Jefferson??

i cant find anything on DOW website or in book. found some "tips" webpages, but I want to see official regs .. thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
you all are wrong its a rainbrown!! ;D After takin all those fish ID. tests I am going to have to correct my self,it's a Golden rainbrown :D

D

·
0 Posts
dogkatcher said:
Does anyone know where to find the Regs for Jefferson??

i cant find anything on DOW website or in book. found some "tips" webpages, but I want to see official regs .. thanks
There are no "special" regulations for Jefferson, just the general regulations that apply statewide.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good report Dog Catcher,

We may be heading up there soon. How long is the snowmobile trip from the parking area? If you are heading up again send me a pm. I may have to go by myself and it would be nice if I knew other folks were going.

Fly Chucker.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fly Chucker said:
Good report Dog Catcher,

We may be heading up there soon. How long is the snowmobile trip from the parking area? If you are heading up again send me a pm. I may have to go by myself and it would be nice if I knew other folks were going.

Fly Chucker.
We parked near a turn around at bottom inside park. sled ride up seemed about 15-20 mins. There are a few areas on road that have deep snow with huge ruts. Those two trucks were stuck about 100 ft apart in the rutted stuff. There is some snow along the side of dry areas you can ride on, but expect some dirt & gravel.
There are plenty of long straightaways that are snowpacked & upper road was fine. The boat ramp & parking area was bare, we took another route off ice when leaving to avoid the lot. Who knows what this storm system dropped up there though

Will let you know when we head up there next, i had less than 24 hours notice last time. Was a way better idea than football and beer

We were thinking about spending a day trying to locate the Lakers. We pulled some nice ones out early autumn with downriggers, but no luck thru the ice yet. Im sure there are some big lurkers in there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd be up for the Laker hunt. I have been fishing for Lakers for years both on the ice and open water.

I've got plenty of electronics to aid in the search.

FC

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey fly chucker im going to play hokie on weds lets go, i got snowmobiles i went twice last year but there was a lot of snow. fished about 50 ft from boat ramp hooked something real big but the line snaped. mabe the fish gods will give me one more try. pm me >:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts