Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jefferson lake 12-26-05

Me, Big Worm & Cowboy Bob fished sunrise to sunset ? caught about 40 rainbows total. We couldn?t even keep count, each of us caught about 15. Most were released, we kept six & could have kept more. Sizes were from 8-17 inches. The larger ones were fat. Lots of unhooked strikes too, I missed at least 20

Fished the shallows in 12-20 ft of water. We had all day so we tried various types of bait. I had the best luck with white tubes & green tubes (about 1.5?) loaded with Trout Gravy, original scent, red color ? that stuff stinks. Biggest fish of day was 17.25? caught with white tube. Two fat 16 inchers were caught by Worm, his family is probably chowing those down right now. He?s quite the chef too

Fish were caught consistently from the moment we got there until about 1pm. So, We tried to scope out the Lakers. Went across lake onto the bare ice, punched some holes, used fishfinder and marked zero fish in the deep areas (50-80 ft) .. we checked near the boat ramp also and found no fish on radar

Does anyone know where the lakers are????  We caught many lakers deep during the summer

So the laker hunt was over, went back to original spot and caught a few more Bows from about 2-4 PM .. was a great day !!

16 incher Caught early in day & a good sign of things to come

17.25 incher

Black Rainbow??  about 13" - this pic was taken right out of water, Ive never seen a black trout before

View across lake, nice snowpack

View from deeps looking south ... VERY SLICK !!

Ice Closeup ... is pretty freaky driving a snowmobile over that, but its safe

I ended up with the biggest fish, but Big Worm came out on top for cumulative weight ...  Cowboy Bob had to eat leftovers tonight ... sorry bob

Happy Holidays to everyone!!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how thick is that ice?

does look kinda creepy being slick and clear like that

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a good question about the "black" rainbow. I caught some like that at Chambers Sunday right along with the more typical silvery looking rainbows. Some of the rainbows were really covered with black spots like the one in your picture, and I remember at least one had a brown belly instead of the usual white. I'm thinking they're either a different strain, or maybe they're fish that normally run in the creeks, but winter over in the lake. I didn't keep any to eat, so I don't know whether they looked any different on the inside...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadkill said:
how thick is that ice?

does look kinda creepy being slick and clear like that
not sure on exact thickness, is pretty thick though. at least a foot. we didnt measure thickness, were too busy looking for fish
The snow pack shallow area we fished was thick, seemed like 2 ft with the snow included. closer to shore snow was deeper, the auger would almost be up to its motor when drilled thru

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great report, your pictures are awesome.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey guys, I have already everal of those elusive black rainbows this ice on. I kept one 12" to eat to see if it was any good and the meat was actually pink and tasted good. Anyone know what makes them turn black? I have never caught a blackish one open water fishing.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I catch dark rainbows like that in a couple of places. There is a lot of varation in color of rainbow trout. Rainbow trout also do change their color to blend in better with their surroundings. It's not rapid, like a chameleon, but happens over time.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Cutthroat said:
I catch dark rainbows like that in a couple of places. There is a lot of varation in color of rainbow trout. Rainbow trout also do change their color to blend in better with their surroundings. It's not rapid, like a chameleon, but happens over time.
Bass are same way.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ate that black bow for dessert - tasted pretty good, cooked on grill in foil w /butter & garlic.

meat looked normal .. seemed boney tho, ribs were tiny & hard to find

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brown/Black trout. I have caught rainbows this year in stagecoach, which were stocked in the fall, which were real dark. Brown belly's black rainbow looking fish. I will try and post a picture. But they were definitley stockers from the fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts