Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as promised here is my fishing report from Jefferson Lake.

Got a later start than I would have liked and made it to the lake at 9AM. Decided that my dog deserved a trip so I did not bring my float tube. Caught a stocker bow on my first cast with the fly rod. Pine squirrel leech under an indicator. Caught three more bows on the fly rod, but decided that I was not there to catch stocker bows, so switched to spinning gear for Mackinaw... it was slow... painfully slow.

Tried blades, Rapalas, sucker meat, Crocodile, Kastmaster ... the works really before I finally got one Small Mac on a 1/6 ounce Ned Rig with a ZMan TRD Craw!

Littlemac was not kidding! That lake gets crowded. There was more than one point where I felt like I was combat fishing. Two friendly Rangers checked everyone's license, which I thanked them for. Talked to several other fisherman and most were not having luck. Only one other guy I talked to actually caught a Mac on a tube jig. People were not even catching the stocker bows with bait. I left at around 2:30.

Nothing really worth taking pictures for. Overall was a fun day, but there are several other Mackinaw lakes in this state that I feel are better destinations for a shore fisherman.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Ice fished it once and never went back. I think it was already on the decline, after some peeps had hotspotted it. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ice fished it once and never went back. I think it was already on the decline, after some peeps had hotspotted it. :D
Yeah... normally I would leave the name outta my report... but it is fairly obvious that everyone, and their brother, and their brother's cat already knows about that place and goes there.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yeah... normally I would leave the name outta my report... but it is fairly obvious that everyone, and their brother, and their brother's cat already knows about that place and goes there.
My comment wasn't aimed at you. That lake has been hotspotted since the late 2000s (maybe even earlier). I don't call out hotspotters, unless it's a joke. My philosophy and calling out hotspotters: you are just drawing more attention to it.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I 1st fished there in like 1977 ? Standing room only back then.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Beautiful place but not worth fishing anymore.
yeah its terrible. please, stay away. bwahahahahahahaha...

lol lake is as good as it's always been to me. 95% of the people who fish it are know nothing powerbaiters that mostly go there for the pretty views and fish it when its dead calm and summertime.... when all the mama lakers are 100-200 feet down in the bottom.
come october/november when the first squalls of winter hit the place with its 50 mph sustained winds, people scatter and leave the lake alone.
I will say that as much as it pisses me off that they are restricting access even more (closing lake to vehicles as soon as ice shows up on the lake and keeping it locked up till mid june for "liability reasons"... itll probably keep the lake from being fished when its vulnerable.
now if they can get turquoise/twin/forebay regs on it and actual enforcement... itll stay good for generations.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
My comment wasn't aimed at you. That lake has been hotspotted since the late 2000s (maybe even earlier). I don't call out hotspotters, unless it's a joke. My philosophy and calling out hotspotters: you are just drawing more attention to it.
honestly nobody really logs on this forum anymore. most people like to jerk wang in the facebook forums...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah its terrible. please, stay away. bwahahahahahahaha...

lol lake is as good as it's always been to me. 95% of the people who fish it are know nothing powerbaiters that mostly go there for the pretty views and fish it when its dead calm and summertime.... when all the mama lakers are 100-200 feet down in the bottom.
come october/november when the first squalls of winter hit the place with its 50 mph sustained winds, people scatter and leave the lake alone.
I will say that as much as it pisses me off that they are restricting access even more (closing lake to vehicles as soon as ice shows up on the lake and keeping it locked up till mid june for "liability reasons"... itll probably keep the lake from being fished when its vulnerable.
now if they can get turquoise/twin/forebay regs on it and actual enforcement... itll stay good for generations.
Yeah I really like the regs at Twin, Turquoise, and Forebay! Honestly I am probably just spoiled... The Trout lake I fish the most requires a special permit to fish, and they only release 600 permits a year (Ralph Price), and I often go there and encounter maybe one other group of fisherman on the weekend... just not used to so many people...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
honestly nobody really logs on this forum anymore. most people like to jerk wang in the facebook forums...
If it wasn't clear enough: I don't give a chit whether troutbiscuit, or anyone else, names Jefferson.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Yeah I really like the regs at Twin, Turquoise, and Forebay! Honestly I am probably just spoiled... The Trout lake I fish the most requires a special permit to fish, and they only release 600 permits a year (Ralph Price), and I often go there and encounter maybe one other group of fisherman on the weekend... just not used to so many people...

That sounds nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I like fishing jefferson early in the AM in summer.. like 4-5 am.... then by 11 when the south park slut posse comes rolling up and setting up shop, i leave and go to cheeseman, antero or one of the west littleton lakes.
thats when you see the real magic.. especially in mid fall. I love that lake so much, i think most people hate it because googans trash it out (i bring bags to clean up litter) or they lose a lot of tackle.
over the years i spent a lot of time and lost probably over a grand in lures till i figured out where its better to fish, and whats more conducive for those shitty rocks.
place is pretty.. one of the last times i hit it up, we saw a moose family in the inlet area. i seen elk, mountain lions back there as well as lots of big god damned lake trout cruising the shallows and herding rainbow trout like orange finned sharks.
lately these years im way more interested in wyoming fishing... but ill still go to jefferson when i know its gonna be good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We went up yesterday, for a Wednesday there were about 30 cars in the parking lot. Been going up for years, and this was the busiest Ive seen it. The fishing was slow for us, didn't really see anyone else "nailing" them either.

The trash wasnt bad around the lake, really didn't have to pick anything up. Although this is why you shouldn't keep trash in the back of your truck, watching this guy was the highlight of the day!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
My grandfather took me and my bro up to that lake, and it's where I really got into fishing. Lately, as others have said, it's been busier and trashier...but you can still find em if you know where to fish. And avoid those damned rocks...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Love Jefferson, walk a little and you can have some great, private spots. Have belly boated it mainly, fun place. Ice fished it once, that's my avatar!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I fished it often for awhile those rocks everyone is cursing sure can be your friend during ice season.definatley won't have to fight much of a crowd from about Labor Day on but can be a pretty scary place if your alone in the winter.use to go every Sunday morning when the ramp was open caught a lot of fish on the opposite side of the lake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts