Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Jefferson Lake on Weds. Fished for five hours and only caught 1 small rainbow. Had a few other hits and lost a few. Caught fish on Pistol Pete and air bubble. Was in hip boots most of the time, tried Rapalas, Krocidiles, and Kastmasters. Alot of snow around in the woods yet. A couple of 7-10 foot deep drifts. Water level is very good. Went to Montgomery Reservoir Thursday with Brother Brian, was opening day. Water is down about 40 feet. Place was packed for opening day, about 40 anglers when in past years only a few. At small creek inlet lost a few on gold Krocidile. Tried worms and Power Bait--nothing. After some people left, got to the Blue River Diversion inlet. Caught 10, lost 10, and had 28 hits on Pistol Pete and air bubble. All stockers, no size to them like in years past. Brian caught, lost, and had just as many hits, too. Maybe water needs to come up some or warm up a little. Will try Montgomery again later.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Does Jefferson still have a lot of ice on it? I know a couple weeks ago there were select "thaw" patches you could reach, but most the lake was still frozen. Were there a lot of people up there yet?

·
Registered
179 Posts
As of Mem day weekend the streams were very high and blown out.

Tony

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tarryall River is real high and dirty, the rest are high. No ice left on Jefferson Lake. Was quite a few people at Jefferson Lake for early in the year. Colorado DOW was there in a boat. They had a bunch of coolers and pails. Looked like they might of been stocking or surveying fish populations?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
was up there today and had a real tuff time even locating fish on the fish finder. there are alot of stocker fish in close to shore but the macs have dissapeared. i did get alot of feedback out in the middle of the lake but they wouldnt be in 170 fow would they?

·
Registered
699 Posts
little mac yes they would i know that on the great lakes you can regularly catch them down at 200 or more feet

·
Registered
699 Posts
its some kind of crustecian i think that they go after that thrives in colder water and a big nasty downrigger and lead core line will get you there

·
Registered
239 Posts
Someone I know went to Montgomery on Thursday and killed them all day
using spinners and dunking powerbait. Most were small, but a few in the
12-16" range. He told me he caught about 70-80 fish between him and his
friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts