Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 10:00 to 2:00 and continuously caught small stocker Rainbows (almost every cast) from 12 to 14 inches. Weather was cold and windy and it made it hard to fish. No Lake Trout were hooked which surprises me but I have a feeling that the Rainbows were getting to my flies way before the Lakers on the bottom had a chance. I was fishing mainly along the west shore in the rocks. Those little guys were really close in to shore in only a couple feet of water.

Used brown, reddish, and purple streamers in sizes 8 to 10 with sinking lines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fatfish said:
Did you try any spinners or castmasters for the lakers? Those get deeper.
No, I was only fly fishing although I am considering picking up spin fishing again to give me more options.

Apparently, tube jigs are the hottest things now for trout - especially deep water trout.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I picked up an ultra light spinning rig this spring after fly fishing exclusively for 23 years. Just can't put the darn thing down now. Forgot how much fun the spinners can be.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my experience I have done far better on ultra-light tackle than on flies, but that is just me because I fish flies far less than spinners and tube jibs. (I'm not very good at fly casting. Haven't been able to get anyone to teach me how to cast.) I love rooster tails and mepps lures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts