Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm thinking of going to spend half a day at Jefferson this week. I read on the DOW site that the roads are clear and ice is also clearing up. Thinking of maybe taking the 12 footer boat out there too.

Could someone please give me directions? I know you take 285 west and that's about it. How long's the drive anyway? I'm hoping it's only between 1 and 2 hours. Oh and also, any tips, locations, bait recommendations and/or lure recommendations will be appreciated. I'm hoping to catch a mackinaw regardless of size. Actually, that's all I'm really wanting. Just a mackinaw..... I want to catch one so bad, I dream of it..... I dunno if I'll catch one as big as the one in my dream though.

Terre caught the one in my dream.. But she did it in reality, LOL!!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
1eye,

Jefferson is a small lake with minimal structure. Troll around using your electronics to mark a concentration of fish, and troll back through or come back and jig that area. We catch fish all over the lake, but I like the inlet area, and the area out from the dam to the boat ramp best. 3" Spoons (all silver on one side and half silver and red or blue or yellow on the other) and 2 1/2" to 3" tube jigs (white or chatrusse) tipped with fresh sucker all work well. When trolling you can't go wrong with a Laker Taker tipped with a small amount of sucker meat so as not to ruin the action. Get it down to the fish with weight (2-12 oz is common) and you will be catching. In my experience this works anywhere you find lake trout, not just Jefferson.

I caught the fish you say you are dreaming about on a 3" white tube jig, chatrusse trailer, with half a minnow. I knew it was going to be nice when I saw it on my fish finder before I teased it into bitting. I saw another, that I think was larger afterwards, but it didn't bite. Make sure you have good jig hooks. Althought lake trout are not as strong or fast as wipers they get big, we break off good fish on light tackle each year, and I straighten hooks with heavier tackle.

Take 285 from Denver to Jefferson (the town in South Park) and go west on the only road that goes west - the sign says Jefferson Lake... It's 1 1/4 hour to the lake from Lakewood.

Good Luck,

Terre

PS, Now is the time to be trolling along the shorelines up there.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh yes! Thank you Terre! I'm there. All I have to do is convince my buddy to cancel the wiper hunt and we'll head up there.

Oh one more thing.... The weather outlook calls for some rain on Wednesday which might be the day I'm going. I know regular trout & stuff don't really care much for good weather, but do lake trout?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Ieye,

I have had good days and bad days in bad weather with lake trout. Most of my bad days regardless of weather have been on Williamsfork. It's a couple good days that draw me back, Darnit!!!

I don't think they (lake trout) care as much about stormy weather as other fish, till the east wind blows... may as well stay home then.

Be forewarned, Jefferson is at 10'700 feet. It can be 70 degrees and sunny here and snowing up there. Bring ski clothing. It is "the" reason I now have a full encloseure on my boat. Check the wind forecast for the mountains. If any town gets wind in the near by mountains, Jefferson will have wind, maybe lots of wind.

Terre

·
Registered
107 Posts
Although I can not give you specific direction on how to get there I can give you my best tip on how to catch a Mackinaw in spring after iceout. Buy frozen suckers, 5-8"s is best in my opinion, smaller if necessary but not bigger in my opinion. Then buy one of those line threaders or a monster needle. You feed the line through the eye of the needle, then push the needle from tail to head end through the body and pull the needle all the way through so the line comes out the head. Now tie a big treble bard hook to the line and seat the eye of the hook back into the fish so the barbs are all that is sticking out. Then cast the bait out with no extra weight as the fish should weigh enough to cast. Let it sink to the bottom and leave the spool open. Just let it sit there with the bail open until the fish picks it up. When the fish picks it up they normally play with it for a bit before swallowing it so I wait until they go for a run before closing the bail, let them soak up all the slack and then wack em one. Hopefully fish on. I have used this tactic quite succesfully at Lake Grandby around mother's day right after ice out. If you are in a boat, lots of people jig flats in 10-30 feet of water with big jigs with a chunk of sucker meat and do quite well. If you are in a boat you can anchor and dead stick one bait while casting out the jig and slowly bring it back to you. Find one and the rest will come. Let us know how you do.
Craig

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will..... I think(?) cause I'm still in the process of convincing my buddy. He's still thinking of walleyes. We might have to dual a rock paper scissor on this one.
Thanks guys.

M

·
0 Posts
Hmm, dorve by there on the way home from Gunny this weekdn. Do u have 4WD? It would help. I can't get up there in the winter in my truck, gotta hike.

·
Registered
247 Posts
1eyeReD, you'll have to let me know how things went up there. I am thinking of going up there with my bro on saturday. We have always done well there. We are thinking about targeting the lakers now that the ice is off.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Just my opinion,but I wouldnt waste my time at Jefferson.99% dinks with the occasional 18"er.Talo got that bigun but youll find its a needle in the proverbial haystack.Granby,W-fork or even turquoise or twin lakes are a better bet.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I agree the average fish you catch these days is smaller at Jefferson. 16-18" vs maybe 20" at Granby, however there are some better fish there as well. I think some of those smaller fish are Splake. My brother caught several Lakers in the 5 lb range at Jefferson one day last summer, and one of my fishing partners caught a 32" fish in the early fall.

Terre

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally went there yesterday. Didn't get to leave home until the afternoon though. Although I only had like 2 hrs to fish and familiarize myself with the lake, I managed to catch a few. Will post pics and a report with more enthusiasm later on tonight.

BTW, Thanks guys for getting me on the right foot.

L

·
0 Posts
jefferson is one of my favorite lakes ill be up there sunday with my little 12 foot boat providing thres not too much wind take highway 285 south over kenosha pass first town you get to will be jefferson turn right go about 2 miles and turn right again 5 miles from there . theres a 4 dollar fee. good lake partner caught a 15 pounder through the ice this april

1 - 13 of 13 Posts