·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
walleye seeker said:
you are asking 2 differant questions.
jerk baits are more versatile
i use crank baits more
That is the exact answer I was looking for. I feel the jerk bait is more versatile in more situations for more species. Cranks are top producers but in more limited situations. IMHO

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Well for just one lure I'd go with a jerkbait, it can basically be used as a crank if you rip it in, or as a jerkbait w/ pauses. I've sure caught more different species on jerkbaits. I think rattle traps are a big over all producer as well but not quite like a jerkbait. As for lipped cranks they can be killer, but I've not had the versatility. I love lipped cranks during prespawn {for bass} and sometimes in the summer once again for bass. I think less agressive fish are not as likely to hit a crank.

My two cents, tight lines.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Defiantly a crankbait for me. There is so many different styles to chose from. And for any species there is one crankbait that will produce. For me a jerkbait does not have the versatility and here is some examples. A crank can be used any time of year, at any depth, in any lake/river, in almost all types of cover/structure for just about any species out there. Now some people might say the same about jerkbaits but I can't say they can match all of those criteria at the same time. Jerkbaits are one style of hardbait that generally meet one category of bait type. On the contrary, just think about all the different styles of crankbait there is. In other words, it is a broad category consisting of many styles of baits for many purposes. With all that said, jerkbaits have there place for certain situations and the same goes for crankbaits. I hope that was helpful ??? or did it just confuse the heck out of you.
It did me :D.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
longdraw said:
Hey DJ... Great analysis and distinction.
I don't know, I am still rereading it and I'm still not sure what the heck I said. :D. But thanks anyway!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A fine line between a Trolled Husky or a Berkley Frenzy.
I have caught a mess of fish on each while trolling.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
Defiantly a crankbait for me. There is so many different styles to chose from. And for any species there is one crankbait that will produce. For me a jerkbait does not have the versatility and here is some examples. A crank can be used any time of year, at any depth, in any lake/river, in almost all types of cover/structure for just about any species out there. Now some people might say the same about jerkbaits but I can't say they can match all of those criteria at the same time. Jerkbaits are one style of hardbait that generally meet one category of bait type. On the contrary, just think about all the different styles of crankbait there is. In other words, it is a broad category consisting of many styles of baits for many purposes. With all that said, jerkbaits have there place for certain situations and the same goes for crankbaits. I hope that was helpful ??? or did it just confuse the heck out of you.

D.J.

I guess I can see your point {to a point} if you consider lures like a floating rapala a crank. Then there are suspending cranks like a suspending shad rap which I'm not really sure how to classify. But I still say jerkbaits have just about the same level of versatility in design {you can can find 'em that dive deep or shallow, same as cranks ex.}

With the possibility of a few exceptions, to me what really defines a jerkbait is it's ability to pause at a given depth and not rise to the surface immediately. I think this fact gives it the edge over a crank bait, sometimes it seems to me that the pause is necessary to produce a hit. On the other hand jerkbaits can be retrieved fast like a crankbait.

An other big consideration here is species of fish, while the crank vrs. jerk might be a close contest for bass, I don't think it is at all for trout, ex. For bass it would be close for me, I've caught big bass on both lipedcranks and jerkbaits. But I'd definitely say a jerkbait is a more multi species producer, and a little more of a finesse type lure for bass. Long live the jerk!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
JWurgaft said:
djfisherman2 said:

D.J.

I guess I can see your point {to a point} if you consider lures like a floating rapala a crank. Then there are suspending cranks like a suspending shad rap which I'm not really sure how to classify. But I still say jerkbaits have just about the same level of versatility in design {you can can find 'em that dive deep or shallow, same as cranks ex.}

With the possibility of a few exceptions, to me what really defines a jerkbait is it's ability to pause at a given depth and not rise to the surface immediately. I think this fact gives it the edge over a crank bait, sometimes it seems to me that the pause is necessary to produce a hit. On the other hand jerkbaits can be retrieved fast like a crankbait.

An other big consideration here is species of fish, while the crank vrs. jerk might be a close contest for bass, I don't think it is at all for trout, ex. For bass it would be close for me, I've caught big bass on both lipedcranks and jerkbaits. But I'd definitely say a jerkbait is a more multi species producer, and a little more of a finesse type lure for bass. Long live the jerk!
I see what you are saying but disagree with some of what you say. Here are the things I don't agree with.

First, I would call a suspending shad rap a crankbait. (though you did not say what you would call it)
Second, I would say a floating rapala is a jerkbait.
Third, I personally have done very well with crankbaits and trout (in fact they are some of my favorites). On the other hand I would say the complete opposite with a jerkbait and trout.
Forth, I would say a crankbait is more of a multi-species bait then a jerkbait. (but with that said a jerkbait will catch all the same species a crankbait will at a given time. Or the In-fisherman method, fish+location+presentation = Success!)

But my finale thoughts are these,Both jerkbaits and crankbaits are versatile baits (personally I would say a crank is more, IMO). And they both have their important places in a anglers tackle box. Everybody is going to have their personal favorite based on their catch rate, confidence, and personal experience using a crank/jerk bait, and that's just fine.
D.J.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
It is kind of like telling the Army you have two choices, A M1 tank or a Apache helicopter :-\ I would rather have both! They serve different purposes to accomplish different tasks. The trick is to know when and where to apply them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts