Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying some jerk baits this year- mainly husky jerks and X-raps. I have never fished with them before and never really seen anyone fish with them. It seems like I am having a hard time staying in contact with the lure. I jerk and then reel but when I stop it feels like the lure is still moving towards me. Does that make sense?

Another question: when you "jerk" the bait do you do a short hard pull? Short, gentle pull? Or should I be giving it a longer pull?

Any input on how to fish these would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
There are several ways and I think everyone has their own favorite pattern of retreive.
Here is my two cents:
I like to crank it down if it's a suspending type and then stop. Sometimes you get hit on the stop. Then I twitch it twice and stop. Reeling in the slack on the stop.
If nothing then I will vary how hard I twitch.
If the water is clear I'll work it faster so they can't get a real good look at it and try to provoke a reaction bite.
A suspending Smithwick Rogue 4 1/2 in. chrome w/ black back, orange belly has been my best over the years although I'm just now getting into the Xraps in the smaller size. Now is a good time of the year for jerks.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
What kind of line are you using? You will have alot more feel for what is going on if you use Fireline with a mono leader. I had a fish last night at Chatfield that I only felt a tap while Husky Jerk was motionless. I don't think I would even felt it with mono?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts