Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fished from roughly 630 to 1 yesterday for lakers. It was supposed to be windy and snow-filled and it didn't disappoint. I got two lakers on the lucky craft flash pointer and one on a generic kastmaster. I was by myself but luckily there was a guy there that was willing to take a couple pics for me. I've been really wanting a big laker so I spent a decent amount of time throwing the 6inch bbz1 and the 168 river2sea s waver swimbaits. On one of the retrieves, the s waver felt like it got stuck. Then it began to budge just a tad. Either I had foul hooked a decent trout or a nice one had taken my lure. Even on my swimbait setup with 25lb line, it felt strong. After about five seconds, the hook popped. I don't think I got a good hook set because I had a brace on my wrist. It was a bummer but I the three trout I landed were decent. I'll be thinking about what was on the other end of the line for a while. I continued to throw my swimbaits but my shimano Cardiff wasn't doing well in the cold and moisture and eventually it froze up. I need to get a baitcasting reel that can handle the crappy weather because not being able to throw the big stuff after losing one was a huge letdown. The biggest was 23 but they were all pretty close.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet goggles whomp!

Go to BPS and get the cheap rubber hook holders. A 4 pack is ~$4 and they work great.
The goggles make a big difference. It was essentially a blizzard out there at times and I was the only guy who could actually face the water.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I bet the goggles helped! It was just slightly breezy on Saturday morning and my eyes were watering like crazy from the cold and wind.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Nice, man. Way to brave the elements. Weird your Cardiff struggled in the cold. Could be an excessive amount of grease in it. Usually in the cold, too much grease in the reel is the culprit.

Thanks for the report! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Way to get out and enjoy the glorious weather. might want to lighten up on the line. 25lb is way up there. It effects the action and depth of your bait. And big ol smart macks are line shy. Todays lines are so strong you can get away with as light as 10 pound on a 1.5 ounce baits and heavier.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way to get out and enjoy the glorious weather. might want to lighten up on the line. 25lb is way up there. It effects the action and depth of your bait. And big ol smart macks are line shy. Todays lines are so strong you can get away with as light as 10 pound on a 1.5 ounce baits and heavier.
That's when they bite best, right? Regarding the line...I actually threw the big stuff for a little on my spinning gear once the Cardiff failed. I just hate losing big , expensive lures. Couldn't get the distance I could with my swimbait gear. I might go down a tiny bit on the poundage and use a flouro leader.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That's when they bite best, right? Regarding the line...I actually threw the big stuff for a little on my spinning gear once the Cardiff failed. I just hate losing big , expensive lures. Couldn't get the distance I could with my swimbait gear. I might go down a tiny bit on the poundage and use a flouro leader.

The overcast and stormy conditions don't always turn the lake trout bite on. But the time of year is what is most important for getting them from shore. Once the surface temps get colder than about 54 degrees is when the lakers will spend more time aggressively hunting prey in shallow water near the shorelines. Like you already know, the best time to hit them from shore is 3 weeks before ice cap, and 3 weeks after ice off. Ill PM you with a lure option that doesn't break the bank, is big, and has incredible fish catching action.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sweet. Love fishing in the nasty stuff. I too have been having problems in the cold with my revo winch. Not sure what type of line you are using but it seems like braid doesn't perform too well once temps drop below freezing compared to mono and fluoro.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sweet. Love fishing in the nasty stuff. I too have been having problems in the cold with my revo winch. Not sure what type of line you are using but it seems like braid doesn't perform too well once temps drop below freezing compared to mono and fluoro.
Braid gets saturated/soaked and freezes up so it doesn't perform so well in freezing temps

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have no idea what lure Fordo is going to suggest, but try Savage Gear's 3D swimbaits. My only tip is to replace the wire leader it comes with, with some strong flouro. They are cheap for their value and catch rates, and are great for casting.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice 'stache! And nice fish too.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The overcast and stormy conditions don't always turn the lake trout bite on. But the time of year is what is most important for getting them from shore. Once the surface temps get colder than about 54 degrees is when the lakers will spend more time aggressively hunting prey in shallow water near the shorelines. Like you already know, the best time to hit them from shore is 3 weeks before ice cap, and 3 weeks after ice off. Ill PM you with a lure option that doesn't break the bank, is big, and has incredible fish catching action.
I appreciate that, man. I know that you have some good laker knowledge.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only use mono and then sometimes I'll use a flouro leader. It's the reel itself. When it's really cold the reel screeches and then yesterday, the reel wouldn't engage after casting....like the mechanism was frozen stuck.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Braid sucks when it's clod, but I still use. My baitcasters will freeze before my spinning reel. The best option is a spinning reel with mono, but I'm too lazy to re-spool, so I stay with the braid.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan on investing in a better quality reel soon but I'm gonna take it apart and see what the oil/grease situation is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts