Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys..... Got a question for you jerkbait fisherman out there. What rod and reel combo do you prefer for fishing jerkbaits. I needs to be a spinning reel since I do most of my eye fishing at night and don't want to deal with an occasional backlash in the dark.

Main species targeted with the set up with be Walleye, Bass, and brown trout in the fall.

I should also add I'll be using fluorocarbon line. I was throwing braid with a leader for a long time but for the time being I'm going to switch over to straight fluorocarbon.

Before anyone throws out a steez or stella recomendation I should also add I've set my budget to 250 for the combo.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use a 7' Medium rod and a 7' MH rod. The lighter rod is for lighter jerks and balsa floaters. I use the heavier rod for the heeavy baits I prefer to use.

I prefer braid and a floro leader. Either 10 or 12lb test. I got one last night, that was about four lbs. I doubt if I would of even felt the light tick without the braid?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I use a 7' Medium rod and a 7' MH rod. The lighter rod is for lighter jerks and balsa floaters. I use the heavier rod for the heeavy baits I prefer to use.

I prefer braid and a floro leader. Either 10 or 12lb test. I got one last night, that was about four lbs. I doubt if I would of even felt the light tick without the braid?
Pretty much what Neal said.

I used a 7' med/heavy with 20# Power Pro, with an 8# fluro leader. Gander GSX rod, Shimano Saros reel.

Reel, I would suggest Shimano Symetre 2500, best all around reel for the price, IMO. Rod, whatever you can get with the $150 you have left over. ;) Can get a pretty sick St. Croix, if you can find one on sale. IMO, a fast action tip is best. Can feel light strikes, but he MH rod has a good backbone for fighting fish.

Personally, I like spinning gear better for jerkbaits...but only jerkbaits up to 4-1/2" anything bigger...baitcaster.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neal/CO said:

Neal I'm sure your right about the braid. I think my problem right now is the rod I'm using isn't for a jerkbait application. Thats why I feel bling using jerkbaits with this set up. I've spent most of my tackle money the last couple years on casting gear so I've been using the only spinning set up I have for fishing jerkbaits.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reel, I would suggest Shimano Symetre 2500, best all around reel for the price, IMO

I loved my symetre!!! Some douche stole it out of the back of my truck at Pinewood a few years back. Forgot I had it in my boat so just tossed it into the back of my pick up before heading out and chasing tigers. Shame on me for leaving it in the back of my truck, but shame on the douche that would steal a mans tackle.

I sold a ton of those reels when I worked at sportsmans. People couldn't believe how smooth they are for the price. I liked my symetre more than my stradic.

Its a toss up for me now. I'm sold on the symetre I can't believe I forgot about them, and either a Skeet Reese jerkbait rod and a st. croix. Then might even have some cash left over to pile on a few more jerkbaits!!!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the Skeet Skeet rod...but that's only because I know of someone that broke, not 1 but 2 brand new ones just false casting with them in the store....

Some peeps love them though.

Sucks that someone jacked your gear man! That's super weak!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
I wouldn't recommend the Skeet Skeet rod...but that's only because I know of someone that broke, not 1 but 2 brand new ones just false casting with them in the store....

Hmmmmmmmmm...............I love my Skeet rods. I put my gear through the ringer and havent had a single problem. ???

but with that being said............get what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:

Interesting. I only have one W&M Skett Reese Tessera rod and it happens to be the Jerkbait/Topwater rod. I've owned it for over a year and had zero issues with it. It seems to work really well for jerkbaits up to 5". I caught a bunch of fish on it last year and would recommend them to a friend. Most of my other rods are Powell's and Dobyns so it's probably the least expensive rod I use regularly and I still like it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A 6'6" ML st croix rod with a TD 2000 size reel works great for jerkbaits. I no longer run fluoro when pulling jerkbaits, I like line with more stretch for this application. 6lb P-line cxx is perfect.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Did the store manager kick him in the nads??

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
crankn101 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Did the store manager kick him in the nads??
LOL No, they just talked crap about the rods and sent them back...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up doing some research online and then took a trip to bass pro. Well all my research went down the crapper when I picked up the Abu Garcia Veritas! 6'6 medium action rod thats crazy light. I'm extremely amped about this rod.....Then I got antsy when looking at reels and just picked up a Quantum KVD spinning reel. I had to make a move fast or I would have ended up dropping 180 on the new Pfluger reel thats the perfect match for this rod.

I've had the set up out a few times now and I'm pretty sure if a walleye swims by and farts I'll know.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
dieseldoctor said:
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up doing some research online and then took a trip to bass pro. Well all my research went down the crapper when I picked up the Abu Garcia Veritas! 6'6 medium action rod thats crazy light. I'm extremely amped about this rod.....Then I got antsy when looking at reels and just picked up a Quantum KVD spinning reel. I had to make a move fast or I would have ended up dropping 180 on the new Pfluger reel thats the perfect match for this rod.

I've had the set up out a few times now and I'm pretty sure if a walleye swims by and farts I'll know.
Medium action? Is that supposed to be medium power?? Is it fast action? Sorry for all the questions. Just curious. ;D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:

HA! I heard about those broken rods. I'll stick with St.Croix. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts