Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering being a novice to fishing for bass and i was wondering what jig/trailer i should use to catch quantity not the big ones.but i got no prb with a big one.thanx

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Red Sox --- I use Uncle Josh's #36 (phantom finess craw). I trail it behind BooYa swim'n'jigs. The only color I've used is blue/black. I've also caught using small Strike King jigs (blue/black) w/ the same (UJ #36) trailer. I haven't really mastered the swim & jig technique yet though.

F

·
0 Posts
when im using a jig and pig combo if i cant see fish ill use it like most people jig a few times reel up and repeat . but if i can see fish ill buzz that jig right past them nothin fancy . fish cant stand something that looks like food getting away. (bass at least)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
In the summer a twin tail grub IMHO works better. Green pumpkin or watermelon seems to be a good all around colors. Buy several sizes of jigs. 1/4, 3 /8, and even 1/2. Depending on the mood of the bass fall rates matter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
while we're talking about "pig"...are pork trailers considered live bait?

I feel that they are not artificial and cannot be used in artificial fly/lure only waters...but I have talked to guys that are convinced that these do not qualify as "bait".

I glossed through the DOW regs and still unclear. Any help on this?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
ARTIFICIAL FLIES AND LURES: Devices made entirely of, or a combination of, materials
such as wood, plastic, glass, hair, metal, feathers or fiber, designed to attract fish. This does not
include hand-moldable material designed to attract fish by taste or smell. It also doesn?t include
devices smaller than 1-1/2 inches long with scents or smell attractants attached. Molded plastic
devices less than 1-1/2 inches long also are not considered artificial, as well as foods; organic
bait such as worms, grubs, crickets, leeches, minnows and fish eggs; and manufactured baits
such as imitation fish eggs, dough baits and stink baits.
Is taken from the rules book. Since the "pig" is hand-moldable and designed to attract fish by taste or smell, I would say it does not count as artificial lure.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That 1 1/2" rule is bs like no other. I've been using small flies lately for gills and bass and sometimes they get swallowed too! no less than the small plastics in fact.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I talked to a ranger at Pella's early this season. She said as long as it was over 3 inches, and had never been alive. (No pork). I also asked at the Rocky Mt. Arsenal last Sunday. There you can use any size plastic, or power-bait, but not pork (again) because it was once alive. I know every place is different, but If it's artificial flys and lures only, I won't use pork.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts