Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Bass guys-

I have been reading alot about jigs and Trailers? It seems as though there are a number of variations. Jig-n-pig, jig with craws ect. Do any of you guys use these things,If so what conditions are best for them, how do you fish them and what variations have you all had luck with in Colorado??? 

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
In cold water up to say low 50's I fish the real thing-Uncle Josh #11 pork. Above low 50's I'll usually switch to a plastic craw or twin tail. I have convinced myself they hold onto pork longer-especially in real cold water.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use 3 or 4" grub trailers on all spinnerbaits and bass jigs. I like the extra action and the smell/ taste/ feel can't hurt. I also like the way a trailer cam make a smaller bait look bigger. I also tend to use small (1-2") curly tail grub trailers on inline spinners....just bite most of the body off and attach it to one of the trebles. I have tried bitten off grub trailers on spoons such as johnsons silver minnow...good for pike or bass but it does affect the action of the spoon a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Famer ted-

Do you alos put on a trailer hook on your spinnerbaits and your buzz baits?? Ant if so which hook do you put your grub on?

·
Registered
664 Posts
fish hunter said:
Famer ted-
Do you alos put on a trailer hook on your spinnerbaits and your buzz baits?? Ant if so which hook do you put your grub on?
I usually don't put a trailer hook on, I just thread the grub on the main hook of the spinnerbait or buzzbait. If I'm getting a lot of nippy little strikes, I may put a trailer hook on and then put the grub on the trailer but It's pretty rare that I use trailer hooks...I have an unopened package in my tackle bag, I don't think I used one all last year.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've had success with a Strike King Bitsy jig in a rootbeer w/
orange/green flake. For a trailer a 3" Yamamoto twin tail grub in cinnamon w/green flake. For good measure I coat the grub with Nitro grease in the Krawfish color.
I'll usually hop it like the usual jig and pig retreive but sometimes they hit it when swimming it back to the boat.
Especially Pueblo smallies.
Because it's small and not so bulky it works when the bite is tough. Larrys like it too.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hammer-I too like the Bitsy Bug-nice downsized offering. I don't live in the Denver area but BPS sent me a flier and their Bitsy Bugs are gonna be on sale for 99 cents each-can't beat that price.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Or a hula grub (I like the chompers best) on a stand-up jig head. Less bites than a tube but better size. I fish both the 4" and the 5".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jig-N-Pigs and Jig-N-Craws are some of the best year-round bass baits. They work well in cold water when nothing else is working, but also work well in the warmer months.

I usually fish them slowly, hoping them off the bottom (with 90% of strikes coming on the fall). I know some people like to swim jigs. I've never really tried that though.

A few years ago, I was fishing Quincy in June on a hot day and couldn't get a bite on anything until I switched to a Jig-N-Craw and started hammering them. I caught about five fish in an hour; a couple largemouths around 14-16 inches, two that were around 18 inches, and one big suprise -- a 20.5-inch, 5 pound smallmouth (My jaw dropped when I brought it in). I released it, so if it's still in there, it would probably be state-record size by now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What colors are you guys using? And has anyone seen these rattles that Strike king is selling with there Jigs- dose anyone use them and how do you put them on?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm sure there are alot of guys who like rattles but I hardly ever fish with them. I even remove the rattle from jigs that have them. Reason is, we fish mostly clear to very clear water out here in CO. Rattles work better in stained or muddy water.

As far as color I keep it DRAB-black and brown and the camo color are my favorites.

D

·
0 Posts
I really like black with a few strands of blue flash, with a black #11 frog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts