Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Gamakatsu makes Jig hooks, you know, as in

1/4 oz, 1/2, 3/4, 1 etc?

If not, what do you recommend in good gook quality from a Jig manufacturer?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Well, have you tried their website yet? ::) ;)

I prefer these hook manufacturers, in this order: Owner (by far!) Gamakatsu, and Mustad.

The issues with Owner are price, local availability, and limited diversity of styles. They make the best hooks I have ever used.

Gamakatsu has a similar price, better local availability, and more styles on offer.

Mustad are good hooks when Gammies or Owners are not an option for whatever reason.

Longdraw would be a good guy to PM about this.

Shaun

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
OK, wait... I just realized you might not be pouring heads. If you are pouring heads the above is relevant to your question. If not, then yes, Gamakatsu makes jig HEADS, pre-poured, for dressing by consumers. They are limited in styles.

Go to Lure Parts Online (was called Stamina), Barlow's, or Jann's Netcraft.

SS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that was part of the issue. I would like to buy the pre-poured if possible. Roundheads with the little barb are fine. But If I have to pour, I only need the mould. I just don't wanna.

Okay, I just checked for pre-poured at Gamakatsu & Owner, but none there

Mustad does have them in hook sizes 1, 1/0, 2/0 & larger.

Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
swimbait said:
Well, have you tried their website yet? ::) ;)

I prefer these hook manufacturers, in this order: Owner (by far!) Gamakatsu, and Mustad.

The issues with Owner are price, local availability, and limited diversity of styles. They make the best hooks I have ever used.

Gamakatsu has a similar price, better local availability, and more styles on offer.

Mustad are good hooks when Gammies or Owners are not an option for whatever reason.

Longdraw would be a good guy to PM about this.

Shaun
Hmmmmmm........No Eagle Claw for your hooks? They make the best hook IMO. Trokar! Dont know about using them for jigs though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmmm........No Eagle Claw for your hooks? They make the best hook IMO.

Well, um...I'm opinionated, picky, and biased.

Why? Given equal odds and even chances, a person will pick stupid every now and then.
If you can sincerely recommend Eagle Claw, and they are both sharp and Strong, I will consider using them.

It's your call. But can you handle the power, the stress, and the enormous responsibility?

ROTFLMAO!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Nawanda said:
Hmmmmmm........No Eagle Claw for your hooks? They make the best hook IMO.

Well, um...I'm opinionated, picky, and biased.

Why? Given equal odds and even chances, a person will pick stupid every now and then.
If you can sincerely recommend Eagle Claw, and they are both sharp and Strong, I will consider using them.

It's your call. But can you handle the power, the stress, and the enormous responsibility?

ROTFLMAO!
Trokar is the best hook. IMO.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Trokar? Ten bucks for five hooks! Wow what a deal! Owners and gamis are a little less money than that. How about diachi? Another good jig hook is vmc.

Dueceu72 must have a disposable income? Or a sponsorship!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Nawanda said:
Nawanda-

I have recently gotten my hands on some of the Eagle Claw Trokar jig hooks. They are both strong and needle sharp. I pour my own jig heads, though, and I don't know what they may have pre-poured in a style and size you would like.

I guarantee I'm pickier about my hooks than you are. :D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
discloco said:
Trokar? Ten bucks for five hooks! Wow what a deal! Owners and gamis are a little less money than that. How about diachi? Another good jig hook is vmc.

Dueceu72 must have a disposable income? Or a sponsorship!
or both?? ;D ;D

maybe neither?? ;D ;D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have recently gotten my hands on some of the Eagle Claw Trokar jig hooks. They are both strong and needle sharp. I pour my own jig heads, though, and I don't know what they may have pre-poured in a style and size you would like.

I guarantee I'm pickier about my hooks than you are.----GoFindYourOwnDamnFish

Hey, That's all I wanted to hear; a strong endorsement. I will indeed consider these "Trokar" hooks.

Yep, I've been shoppin, and looking around for stuff. I will probably get a jig mold.

I'm thinking one 1/4 oz maybe a 1/2 oz and maybe a 1 oz Maybe using a 1/4 oz with a Rocket Bobber will be all the weight I need. I'm using an 11 foot Cabelas "Predator Rod" that throws from 1/4 oz to 2 oz, so it might be fine as long as i can cast 100 yards.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Right now the Trokar jig hooks do not come in a 90 degree bend model; they come in a 60 degree bend. So you will need to either buy a mold made for that 60 degree hook style or modify one to fit the hooks, or find one of the 90 degree molds that they will fit into without modification (there are some).

I haven't used my Trokar heads yet, but plan to this weekend!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I just assumed that Deuceu72 must in some way be affiliated with Wright & McGill. A lot of local folks are, for some reason. ::)

Yes, it is true, I do not like Eagle Claw hooks.

When you get down to it, hooks, even the most expensive hooks, are but a small fraction of what it is we must pay to play this game. I always had to laugh when a guy would come into Sportsman's to "gear up" for a trip to Canada or Brazil with a budget of one hundred dollars. I tend to think their trip had cost many thousands more than that, that it could really be their "trip of a lifetime", but they were ready to flush their entire experience down the tube to save a small percentage of the trip's total cost.

Walleye Seeker, it does make sense in some cases to pour with cheap hooks, especially for guys fishing rip-rap with light line.

For my own purposes, I find it elusive why some people would spend BIG bucks on a rod or reel, only to use sub-standard line or other terminal tackle. Better to use mid-grade rods and reels and the BEST hooks and line.

Put it another way. If you made a quick survey of popular hooks for big game applications, some hooks are more popular than others. People that could use ANY hook, regardless of price. Same goes with hardcore trophy anglers.
For what ever reason, (I am willing to entertain the notion of mass delusion!) certain hooks are way out front with those folks.

Try out all the hooks, and see what works best for you. My personal fishing idol used nothing but tiny Eagle Claw #181 baitholders for his weedless rigs, so go figure!

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well maybe Trokar hooks are the best hooks?? ;) but I haven't found em made into large jig heads nor have I heard any interest from them in doing so. Kalin uses Mustad and makes 1/2 3/4 and 1 ounce. 1/2 uses a 4/0, 3/4-5/0 and the 1oz uses a 6/0. Cabela's has em, you might have to look in the saltwater section.
Seemed to work just fine on a 33" Mack last week ;D

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Those Kalin heads are great! (what are those things called, Ultimate Jigheads or some such nonsense..?) I use those for Tora Tubes, and also 10" Slug-gos and 10" Fin-S-Fish. Good product.

I have no doubt Trokar's are good. I would think they would include a warm wet washcloth to wipe up with every time you use them for that price! But really, I guess it is true that there are not many BAD hooks being made these days, the market has for better or worse become much too sophisticated for a company to get away with it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Owner- great jigs. Mustad- cheap & strong, need to sharpen them though. Never tried eagle claw, but they make some very decent hooks, & they make some real crappy hooks too.....

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Nawanda-

I think jig hooks are like everything else in fishing, largely a matter of personal preference and highly dependent on favorite techniques and species.

For the most part, I don't think you can go wrong with the premium jig hooks from Owner, Gamakatsu and now, Eagle Claw with its Trokar hook. Everyone I know has his favorite brand and model of hook. We don't all agree. Try a few of each and see what you prefer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts