Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the rat finke jigs I picked up and noticed I got one set in sz. 10, and another in size 8. They had sz 12 in some. I was thinking smaller is better. Mostly going for small stocker rainbows. Any reason to worry about the sz 8 ones being too big?

D

·
0 Posts
Generally I prefer small for heavily pressured fish, but I've caught nice trout on all sizes of those.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It tends to vary from my experience. For some reason size ten seems to work best (in ALL of Customs jigs). I've tried at a night with larger (more vis) only to get the best bite on smaller sizes.

The fish tend to toy with the jigs instead of hit them, so I think it comes down to what the smallest size that you feel comfortable hooking up with...if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I start out larger and then switch to smaller... If you have electronics and are marking fish and they are interested in your lure but not taking it, its usually because you are using the wrong size or color. That simple change can put more fish on the ice.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think the old belief that smaller will get more fish but bigger will get you less but bigger fish is mostly true. But I often fish a 2" on one rod and a 3.5" jig on another and don't really see a difference. That is for lakers though. For the trouties smaller is better in my book. This might be why I have yet to ice a big trout. But every time I size down I hook more fish, when I size up the fish turn off. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
At first ice, I like larger jigs because it turns away the smaller fish, and you can get the bigger ones to hit those still. As the ice season progresses, my lures have to be smaller and my presentations more delicate- I'm happy to get any size of fish to hit then. You'll just have to wade through small ones or find big ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems to vary a lot from lake to lake. I've won money in all but one of the Delaney Buttes derbies, including a tie for first, two thirds, and several hour fish that were "fifth" by using a tiny chenille jig I came up with that is 1/2" long, total, fished totally still below a bobber. It has produced many fish from 4-7 lbs for my partner and I over the years. But the only place it seems to consistently work is South Delaney.

I can take that same jig over to North Delaney and the big rainbows virtually ignore it. They like a much bigger jig over there. They don't go crazy over the tiny jig in Lake John, either, or on the private lakes I fish near my cabin.

Go figure.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
isnt it amazing how less is more sometimes when you are talking about movement of your lures up there. some guys look like they are trying to snag the fish they jig so hard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On those lakes, the fish do most often want something totally still, or at least sitting still after a slow drop while the fish is inspecting it. I watch guys ripping jigs and Kastmasters and not catching anything, while we're catcing one after another right beside them completely deadsticking. And they don't do anyting different or even ask what we're using. LOL!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
it sounds like you hit those lakes often, we should meet up so i can learn about some other stuff and techniques that work up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts