Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several articals on this method and have heard it is deadly at eleven mile. Supposedly instead of casting a spoon or kastmaster and reeling it in you jig it like a tube jig. The spoon flutters when it falls and the fish can't resist it. Have any of you tried this before any other tips I have tried it a couple of times but it seems like I just lose a lot of lures.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Not only at 11 mile; this method is deadly just about everywhere. This is how I normally fish spoons, except when trolling. Just cast it out as far as possible, let it sink to the bottom, then jig it in with a lift-retrieve-sink pattern.

If you are having trouble with bottom snags, try fishing the spoon as though it were a countdown lure. Make one test cast into the target area, and count the seconds until it hits bottom. One-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, etc. It doesn't matter how accurate your counting is, as long as you always count the same way on every cast. Then on your second and subsequent casts, start the retrieve process a couple of counts before it hits bottom. Now you are fishing the spoon just a couple of feet off the bottom. If no results after a few casts, start the retrieve a couple of counts earlier than before. Now you are fishing a little higher in the water. Keep this up until you find the layer that has fish in it.

Regards, W. E.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Walleye's will blast a jigging spoon when they will only nibble on a jig and minnow. Wipers and White bass are suckers for them also! There is just something about a fluttering spoon that trips some kind of predatory response!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Neal,

Starting in mid Sept. if you make it to Pueblo... (Gas prices suck) Work you way West starting at the mouth of the south shore marina and by this time of year work from 10-35 ft of water. Gold is a good color as is perch jigging spoons. Work the edges of the exposed ridges and what was once islands. This works all the way till march on those nice sunny calm days. Bonus smallies by the way. By the way change you hooks to red eagle claws....

F

·
0 Posts
I was using the technique that walkingeagle was talking about at marys lake in estes park ...I had just got done reading an article about it in infisherman I was like 15 years old and tried everything I read in fishing magazines .....I had a big silver kastmaster it was a while ago so I dont remeber the size probably 1/4 oz .....I casted it out as far as I could with my eagle claw combo and 99 cent 6lb test(didnt understand the importance of good line back then ....couldnt afford it anyways...) I started counting down ...one one thousand ...two one thousand...by the time I go to about six my line took straight off to the right ....I hooked into a big fish ....I had just lost a real nice one on the big thompson so I was thinking out loud ...set your drag ....rod tip up .....let him run ..after fighting the fish for 5 mins or so we could finally see its body and it was big by far my biggest at 15....my friend and his family have never seen anything but stocker trout, So as im trying to get the fish on the shore. Im also avoiding my friend trying to get ahold of my line......finally get the fish on shore and it was a 12lb laker....got my picture taken in front of the marys lake camp ground ..it was really cool and a memory ill have forever......long ass story just to say ..its a deadly method of catching fish, just like any others it takes time to perfect.......ERIC

·
Registered
636 Posts
I tried walking eagles technique last weekend when I went camping. Caught about 5 nice rainbows (16inches) doing this with a 1/4oz thomas bouyant colorado spoon. Also lost a nice 20+ bow doing this with a taz devil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts