Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Pardon my ignorance. I've recently been fishing one of our local impoundments for walleye from a boat. We were anchored off a point and had some info that the morning bite was good using jerkbaits shallow, followed by blade baits deep. I was with two buddies, and we did okay casting rogues shallow and one of my buddies caught a walleye on a mean eye blade bait. On a whim, I decided to try a Jigging Rap and caught a few, including the lone keeper walleye for the day. I'm wondering if you guys have a method for choosing what bait you'll use for an application like this? It seems like there's some overlap for the baits I listed above and others. Is it just a personal preference thing or do you use different baits base on different conditions, ie. water temp, water clarity, target species, etc? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
288 Posts
For the most part And most situations all of those baits you mentioned are getting a reaction Bite out of the fish so, if one of those styles is working the others will as well. For me, I like the blades because the rapalas break way too easy. Also, with the blades, if the bottom is way snaggy you can slow roll ‘em a foot or two above the bottom and give off some good vibration.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I choose by what works and what I feel comfortable throwing that may sound like a smart ass answer but its the truth I have gone many times and tried blades with no luck then jigging raps and had good success other times its the opposite. my style of fishing is moving around slowly so some times ill use snap raps because I can adapt them to that style better. like I said choose what the fish want and what you feel comfortable throwing

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
minners always work mike your just to stubborn to use them today it was eight fish on minners two on jigging raps plus one lost rap eight bucks gone or equivalent of four dozen minnows

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys! Minnows have definitely crept into my mind, as well. That Tom Boley guy on YouTube has been slaying walleyes using jigs and minnows. That's up in Wisconsin, but it seems like the method holds true down here.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
Been hammering the eyes lately on fake minnows. Plastics! Bait slows you down from catching-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts