Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Radio/TV sports talk show host Jim Rome is on the air a lot. What's your take?

• Dig him.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't dig him.

• Indifferent.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Romey' has been doing his schtick for years, as you all know. His "clones" obviously eat out of his hand. How 'bout you guys?

Personally I can't listen to him, but maybe he's popular on the forum. (?) Just curious.

Thought Frank Caliendo nailed it pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8BZjcP3qU :)

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
He's gotten very tiresome. He will take a topic and just piledrive into the ground, saying the same thing over and over and over again, oftentimes not even changing the words from one repitition to another, just the order of them.

Consequently a point that should take a minute or two at the most is belabored for 5-10 minutes or more. I'm so glad there is finally a decent ESPN alternative to him over on 1600 AM now.

Just took time to watch the video. Pretty close. I do think his TV show is a hell of a lot better than the radio gig.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I like the radio show! The longer you listen, the more sense it makes. It is obvious to me that he does his homework. He knows what he is gonna "take" on! Much easier to listen to than say the Mike and Scott show! You know, the crap right after! I think they are on air just to "stir the pot". Sounds like some folks on here! :D I can't listen everyday to any of it, but when I do I prefer Rome!

Jim

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
There's a lot to not like about Rome, but he's the best interviewer in the business, by far, and he's got a lot more integrity than the rest of the jokers on the radio.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
There's a lot to not like about Rome, but he's the best interviewer in the business, by far, and he's got a lot more integrity than the rest of the jokers on the radio.
I don't like the fact that I'm agreeing with more and more of your takes, Funky...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
Very sincerely appreciate your take, Snowshoe. Interesting, though, in that on both points I would differ. When I have heard his interviews over the years they have always come across to me as the height of ingratiating himself to his star subject. Never have I heard him seriously cross swords with the athlete. Sounds more like locker room shoulder slapping to me. And as for integrity, here's one example. Before he got his ESPN TV gig, he constantly declared on his radio show that he had no interest in ever having a television show, least of all on ESPN who had fired him years earlier. Then suddenly, when ESPN came along with that glittering golden carrot, an amazing and instantaneous change of heart occurred and Rome is Burning was born. I know b/c at that time my job had me on the road a lot during his show's airing time. BTW how well this shows the appropriateness of the "clones" tag for his followers, for they didn't bat nary an eye and their devotion continued unabated!

But as an example of an interview of the sort I much prefer, which demonstrates the integrity of an interviewer being willing to hold a superstar's feet to the fire, I submit this: (it's a long one, but you can get the idea after only a minute or two if you prefer.) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNt7wv_RN8

1 - 20 of 54 Posts