Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO its an easy fix for someone who knows what they're doing. My cooling fan wont turn on. i took out the old fan thinking it was bad and went to the dealership last year to replace it. they hooked mine up and showed me that it still worked. they said it was probably the sensor. so i replaced the sensor and it still didnt work. took it back and they said those cars fans are controlled by the main computer and that i would need to replace that. i got a second opinion and without telling them what the dealer said, they gave me the same explanation.

A computer is $500 :'(. thats what i paid for the car so im not doing that.

i was going to just wire it with a toggle switch in the car. problem is my wife would forget to flip the switch and it would drain my battery :mad:. what i want is for someone to wire it with a switch but also somehow wire it so that when the car is off, there is no power to the fan, that way if she leaves the switch on my battery wont be dead the next morning. make sense?

Ill pay for all parts, plus $100 cash for your labor. i assume it will take you less than an hour. realistically i could take someone who knows what they're doing only 5 min. regardless of how long it takes ill pay 100 once i see that it works AND ALSO turns off when the car is off. you have to do it at my place. let me know what parts you need and when your available to do it. i work 3pm - midnight so anytime before that or anytime on the weekend works. O0 PM me and we'll set something up.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Re: Job: need my saturn fixed - electrical issue

Ive got a 95 Saturn, its a real piece if crap. I mean, It run well, no oil leaks, but it overheats. I have replaced everything on this car when it comes to the cooling system, with exception of the computer under the dash, and still, the ******* overheats. 1 thing I did was took the AC fuse out of the fuse box under the hood. Then I played around with the different open slots until I found out what ones I needed to have wired to turn the fan on. Thankfully I found it, and I just took 2 wires and plugged the 4 holes in the fuse box. Now the fan is always on when the car is on, but turns off when I turn the car off. The only downside to doing that was I no longer have AC, but, I have always been a guy who likes his windows down cooling anyways. Before I did that, I would turn my AC on for a few seconds every ten minutes or so. As Im sure you know, turning on the AC, turns the fan on. If we have the same car, with the same problem, Ill see about taking a picture of what I did under the hood for you. And at least for the meantime, it could get you to where someone can do something better.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Job: need my saturn fixed - electrical issue

The Situation said:
Ive got a 95 Saturn, its a real piece if crap. I mean, It run well, no oil leaks, but it overheats. I have replaced everything on this car when it comes to the cooling system, with exception of the computer under the dash, and still, the ******* overheats. 1 thing I did was took the AC fuse out of the fuse box under the hood. Then I played around with the different open slots until I found out what ones I needed to have wired to turn the fan on. Thankfully I found it, and I just took 2 wires and plugged the 4 holes in the fuse box. Now the fan is always on when the car is on, but turns off when I turn the car off. The only downside to doing that was I no longer have AC, but, I have always been a guy who likes his windows down cooling anyways. Before I did that, I would turn my AC on for a few seconds every ten minutes or so. As Im sure you know, turning on the AC, turns the fan on. If we have the same car, with the same problem, Ill see about taking a picture of what I did under the hood for you. And at least for the meantime, it could get you to where someone can do something better.

I tried turning the AC on to turn the fan on but it didnt work. my ac doesnt work either so if i could fix it by just doing what you did that would be awesome. i honestly know nothing about electrical stuff so pics would be great. im more of a visual guy. on the other hand though, i'd still pay you 100 to fix it.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
yea most good repair shops will fix you up i'm sure, with no warranty, but dont go in there telling them that x dollar amount is all you are gonna pay... you get what you pay for with car repair as well...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have had 4 saturns over the years, fantastic cheap transportation, 38 mpg, cheaply made but will run for 200k. There is a saturn fourm Saturnfans that has a ton of technical information on common problems with the cars, not familar with the cooling problem but you may look on that site for some guidence.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hey, sorry I haven't got you those pics yet. I still own the car, but someone else drives it, I've upgraded to an Ion.. Anyways, He hasn't been home while I was awake, so I'll be sure to get that tonight after he does.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Situation said:
Hey, sorry I haven't got you those pics yet. I still own the car, but someone else drives it, I've upgraded to an Ion.. Anyways, He hasn't been home while I was awake, so I'll be sure to get that tonight after he does.
thanks!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm with bobco - Saturnfans has been very helpful to us - have a 95 SL-1 that still runs great - just burned out another fuel pump (used - never again) on my 02 L200 - hubby and friend are in garage downstairs changing it out right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts