Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great day at Joe Wright. Tried to take some video, but turned out poorly cause my chest mount was broken. Between three of us 26 grayling were caught between 8:30AM to noon. Way more snow than I am used to up there first week of December. I am 6'6 and there are places where I was buried up to my hip.

In addition to that it was snowing hard the whole time. We had about 4-5 inches of fresh snow on the car by the time we got back to it.

Ice is plenty safe by the Dam area at 7-8 inches. But as mentioned above, if you want to catch Grayling don't wait much longer. The snow and ice thickness up there will get crazy deep soon making it not worth it unless you are a glutton for punishment like me.

For me the best thing was a pink tungsten VMC ice fly. 1/32 ounce. Caught a 14 incher on that as well as a few smaller dudes. I also caught one on a gold 1/12 ounce Kastmaster, and another decent one on a Thinfisher Perch colored blade.

Fun time! Glad we went.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Man I am so bummed it snowed the whole time we were there all my gear was just drenched I couldn't film anything with quality. But hey all in all a fun trip up there, as slayer said beats working especially after a week from hell! Can't wait to ice fish both weekend days this week!

Thanks for taking us up there Aaron!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the Info. trying to go up there next Weekend. And you know what they say about Ice fishing , No Pain , no game ;D :hail::hail:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Info. trying to go up there next Weekend. And you know what they say about Ice fishing , No Pain , no game ;D :hail::hail:
It will be easier than Chambers, that is for sure. Just be prepared for gnarly wind as it is at the top of the pass. We were lucky when we were there, only a light breeze.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It will be easier than Chambers, that is for sure. Just be prepared for gnarly wind as it is at the top of the pass. We were lucky when we were there, only a light breeze.
Light breeze but with 8 inches of snow accumulation haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts