Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

joe wright 5/29/06

800 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jj 
#1 ·
there was a report a week prior. to this that said lake 75% frozen, no fish to be found. well the lake on monday was 50% frozen still no fish to be found. i fished from shore, threw spoons for a couple hours, fly and bubble for a couple hours. not a single hit, i fished the north shore from the inlet to where the ice started, saw 3 other folks ther all day, nobody caught a fish. i would think it will be ice free by the end of the weekend.

#2 ·
I was the one who posted that previous report.  It's kind of discouraging to read that people still aren't catching a thing.  I want to know where all the fish have gone.  I had read in a colorado fishing book that joe wright was supposed to be overrun with grayling; well where are they.  Also I have read several places that say that the fishing should be great right after ice off; but that hasn't been the case so far.  What's going on with joe wright ???

#3 ·
familyguyfan said:
I was the one who posted that previous report.  It's kind of discouraging to read that people still aren't catching a thing.  I want to know where all the fish have gone.  I had read in a colorado fishing book that joe wright was supposed to be overrun with grayling; well where are they.  Also I have read several places that say that the fishing should be great right after ice off; but that hasn't been the case so far.  What's going on with joe wright ???
yes, i've heard all the same things. even heard that when half the ice is off is perfect. i'm sure they are still there. i read on this sight and a dow employee for the region confermed they put a handful (i think 50?) of brooder lake trout in last year. the dow agent said the goal was for the lakers to thin out the small to medium size greyling so the big ones would get bigger. they are actually trying to manage it for large greyling. the signs up there tout the lake as a natural nursery for emerald lake rainbows. i don't know what that is.
anyways, don't be discouraged, familyguy, i'm sure it'll pic up. maybe it was cause the ice came off earlier than it should have, who knows. fish it again and let us know. if you strike out tere's always the poudre!

#4 ·
john the fisherman said:
emerald lake rainbows. i don't know what that is.
Not 100% sure on this but I think that is the Whirling disease resistant rainbows the DOW hopes take hold.

#5 ·
I have never fished Joe Wright after Ice off but I always fish it during the early amd late fall. I typically fish near the dam on either the east or west side of the lake which gets less pressure than the inlet.

I have used a fly and bubble,, Don't ask what type of fly, I don't know and the fish didnt care. My bigger fish bait though is a small gold/rainbow pattern castmaster. Toss it as far as you can, It needs to be a good far cast so use apprpropriate equipment like 4 or 6lb limp line with ultra light spinning tackle.

Let the lure settle to the bottom.. Once there, Jerk it up and real very slowly keeping it just off the bottom. This his how most of my bigger grayling have been caught there. If it slows down a little,, switch lures and it seems to fire them up again for a while. I've had several days of 50+ fish in 4 hours of fishing and usually during the mddle part of the day. ( taking a break from elk hunting).
GL and hope that helps
Brett

#7 ·
Familyguyfan,

I was the one who suggested late July and early August. I found that the best time for me, since I like fly fishing with drys. I have fished Joe Wright frome late May to late August as I am usually passing through that area on my way to and from other fisheries farther North. I have used small spinners with a spin rod when I am up there fishing earlier in the Summer and I enjoy my time.

If you are not fly fishing, use BNCO4's suggestions and you will do just fine.

Grayling are a beautiful fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.