Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up Poudre canyon today. We had originally planned on fishing the river, but it was SO DAMN HOT we decided to go up high enough to cool off. We ended up going all the way up to Joe Wright and fishing there. By the way, the temp at the base of the canyon was 97 and at the reservoir it got down to 58. I started fishing with a 1/4 oz. kastmaster and caught 3 grayling and a cuttbow in about 45 minutes. I got briefly rained out, and when the rain stopped I decided to fly fish. I used a size 18 Adams irresistable and caught grayling after grayling for a couple of hours. They were all pretty small, the biggest being about ten inches. It was fun, and what they lacked in size they made up for in beauty and energy. I am a little worried about the surplus population of grayling in the reservoir, though. Last time I went there a couple of years ago, the average size was a lot better, with a couple fish in the 13-14 inch range.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Grayling sounds like a winner! I got to go try that!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Has anyone caught or heard about someone catching one of the 15lb brood stock lakers that were recently dumped in.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
There were 50 10 to 17 lb brood macs from an Idaho Hatchery dumped in last fall.I iced it on dec.31 specifficly for macs but only grayling and cutbos.Tried again right at ice-out,this time got skunked.One would think they would cruise the shore a little,but maybe theyre fat and happy eating all those little grayling!I'm gonna try again in the fall when they spawn.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'd think that'd make a nice little laker lake! Plus close to home with relative easy access. Would there be enough forage to host a healthy population??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts